Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    John Myers
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Back Step Riding

I know back step riding has been prohibited,but when I started riding the back step was the best seatin the house,I was a firefighter in the country where we did 60 or 70 mph.To feel the wind and feel the bumps was a rush.I just wounder who eles misses the back step???

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Loved riding tailboard-especially on sunny days-also did it a lot at sixty plus below in Galena, Alaska. Loved it yes-miss it NO WAY-Had a few mishaps back there. Got hurt once, know of others that got hurt too, some killed. Rather be alive.
    We did things a lot differently when I started in the fire service in 1977. Personally, I prefer a lot of the safety equipment and rules we have today.

Y'all have a great safe day!

Jeff

Sledgehammer57
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I started the back step was the only place we had to ride unless you were the officer or operator. Yes -- I enjoyed it when I was young and didn't know any better. Thank the good Lord we have survived and learned a better way. The fight is danger enough - we don't have to maim or kill ourselves or our people just getting to the scene or back home.

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

I miss it, too.

And yet, I too agree that we are a bit safer today.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

edfc
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes I miss it, but I was a big advocate of moving off the rear step. I think were all glad we did. But, oh do I miss it.

Thread Information