Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    NVFD933
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question FIRE PSYCHOLOGY MAJORS

THIS IS THE SCENARIO, AWHILE BACK I INJURED MY FOOT WHICH PREVENTED ME FROM PREFORMING MOST TASKS. SO MY CHIEF ASSIGNED ME THE TASK OF GATHERING INFORMATION FOR OUR RUN REPORTS(NAMES,ADDRESS.PH#'S ETC..). WHILE DOING THIS I NOTICED A TREND ON MVA'S, AND I AM CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAS NOTICED THIS? WHY IS IT, WHEN YOU TALK TO PARTIES INVOLVED IN MVA'S THEY FILL THE NEED TO TELL YOU(THE FIRE FIGHTER) THEIR LIFE STORY. EXAMPLE: I WAS ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK AND I CAME ACROSS AN ACCIDENT THAT HAD JUST HAPPENED, AS I WAS CHECKING TO SEE IF EVERYONE WAS STILL IN ONE PIECE AND AMBULATORY I CALLED IT IN ON MY HAND HELD. I HAD DISPATCH TONE THE F.D. FOR A WASH DOWN AND THE S.O. TO MEDIATE THE EXCHANGE OF INSURANCE INFO. . BEINGS THIS WAS MY DISTRICT I PROCEEDED TO GATHER THE RUN REPORT INFO. AND BEFORE EITHER THE S.O. OR THE TRUCK GOT TO THE SCENE ONE OF THE YOUNG MEN INVOLVED HAD TOLD ME THAT HIS DAD WAS GOING TO BE INFURIATED, HE WAS ONLY DROPPING HIS UNCLE OFF AT WORK RELEASE, HE HAD ONLY HAD HIS LICENSE FOR SIX MONTHS. HE WENT ON TO TELL ME WHY HIS UNCLE WAS IN WORK RELEASE . THAT HIS SISTER WAS 16 AND PREGNANT AND IT WAS A GOOD THING THAT SHE WASN'T WITH HIM. KEEP IN MIND THE ONLY QUESTION THAT I HAD ASKED HIM AT THIS POINT WAS "ARE YOU OKAY?" HE CONTINUED TO TELL ME THAT HE HAD BEEN BLINDED BY THE SUN(WHICH I THOUGHT WAS STRANGE BECAUSE HE WAS TRAVELING EAST AT 5:30 PM). BY THE TIME THE S.O. GOT THERE TO TALK TO HIM HE HAD TOLD ME THAT HE HOPES HIS DAD WAS AT THE BAR SO HE COULD TELL HIS MOM AND SHE COULD TELL HIS DAD. AND HE WAS PRAYING THAT HIS DAD HAD PAID THE INSURANCE BILL.
    HAVE ANY OF YOU NOTICED THIS TREND ? AND DO YOU FEEL AS I DO THAT THIS IS MOSTLY SHOCK TALKING?
    HOW DO YOU HANDLE IT? JUST SIT AND LISTEN OR TRY TO CALM THEM AND EXPLAIN THAT YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW ALL OF THIS?

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHT'S

RICK

------------------
    NVFD933
    TALLTXNS@POWWWER.NET

[This message has been edited by NVFD933 (edited October 04, 1999).]

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I don't know if it's worth a penny but here is mine.

As firefighter first responder's/EMT's/Paramedic's we are responsible for providing aid and comfort. If it makes your patient comfortable to tell you their life story then listen away.

Brian

Dale Smith
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think that as firefighters and rescue personnel people feel comfortable talking to us. (like a doctor) And a large part is because they are nervous. Most people know that we are there to help them and feel compelled to jabber on. I would just sit there and listen and like doctors you should only discuss a lot of the stuff they tell you with you peers or your spouse. Just listening sometimes is a good medicine.

Thread Information