Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question How Often Do You Visit The Forums?

Just curious how often many of you folks visit the forums. Also if you feel like sharing, why do you come here...what do you enjoy/dislike about the forums also.

Let's see what this stirs up....Thanks for your replies in advance.

Kyle Wickman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Almost every other day. I like to talk to people about there department. When I am off duty from the fire house and I go out w/ some of the guys, all they talk about is our dept. That is the only time I get bored with it. I hate spending all day or night at the station then going out only to talk about work. Lets talk about something else!!!!! I like here becase I only take part of what I want too. It is also alot about YOU, not about what the @!#@$!*&^% captain did today. I do like to talk about my dept, but not with people who know all about it. I hope you understand. Also in New Jersey

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Greetings from the North Star VFD in North Pole, Alaska to you Jersey Guys(I'm originally from Jersey-grew up in Bayonne, then lived in Hazlet till I joined the Air Force in 77). I'm limited to using the internet at the public library and at the FD I volunteer at so I'm usually only able to check the forums about 5 times a week-would check at least daily if I could.
    I've really found the forums useeful for a lot of things in a lot of ways. The cross flow of information has been really helpful and the opportunity to make aquantances with fellow brothers/sisters in this great fire service family has been great.
    As a FD Chaplain, I have found the support of those participating in the CHaplains/CISD forum to be a great source of information, but more importantly strenght and support.
    I log on to a few other emergency service forums, but in most ways this one's the best.

Ya'll have a great SAFE day,

Jeff

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

I try to check the forums every other day, occassionally more often if there's a "hot" topic going. I'd say the main reason(s) I come here is/are the chance to learn something new...get a new idea...see what's going on in other departments. Having been fortunate enough to attend the NFA, I came to realize the value of just shooting the breeze with firefighters from around the country; even with our unique departments there are so many universal problems and situations. And from each unique perspective you can find so many ideas, solutions, etc. As was mentioned in one of above replies, sometimes the BS session in my own department lacks a fresh approach that I often find here. Even the scenarios tend to broaden my horizon...I sometimes find myself short-sighted and focused on "the way we do thangs" or (perhaps?) our SOPs and consistently find new approaches to problems that I usually have failed to consider...just because I'm caught up in my own department's mindset. If I do have a question or am stuck on a problem, I know there is a gold mine of experience and ideas here that I can tap into. Though I have not met anyone in person, I feel like I have made the acquaintance of a great many new friends ...maybe that's just the camaraderie of "knowing" so many brothers from all over the country. (and World) Whatever pride, brotherhood, "belonging" ... I sense in my department is increased a hundred times by you guys ...and I never realized that until seeing the outpouring of sympathy and condolences (from around the country) on any of the recent LODD.

True, I have seen a few posts degenerate into bickering...but hey, that happens at the station often as not, so what's the harm? Level heads prevail eventually ....

I found/joined the forums shortly after getting this computer and now wonder how I could have done without!

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Ledbelly, your right on the money, great info site, Interesting topics and differing experiance Levels make this a great place for Probie and Veterans to Exchange, Bicker and Agree,,, Thanks Fire House great site

------------------
    Here today for a Safer Tomorrow

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

According to my wife I visit too much but it's probably 4-5 times a week. I agree that there are so many different ideas from around the world that if I can use just one then it's worth it. I also believe that if I can help one person out with my opinion then it's even more worth it. Stay safe out there all my brothers & sisters in the ff service.

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

ALSO FROM NJ, I ALSO READ THE FORUMS EVERY DAY THAT I AM IN THE FIRE HOUSE. THERE ARE 4 THAT I AM MORE INTRESTED IN AND ALWAYS READ, MEET AND GREET, ENGINEER,APPARATUS INOVATIONS AND FIREFIGHTER FORUM. AS I GET MORE PROFICENT AT USING THIS COMPUTER, I DO MORE SEARCHING AND E-MAILS. THE DISCUSSIONS ARE EXCELLENT, THE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE ENDLESS..
    I FIND THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE TOPIC SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE HAS OR HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND NOTHING IS DIFFERENT BU THE NAME ON THE DOOR

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello everyone I visit the forums everyday at least once a day to scan the topics and then I usually go back to them at nite when the kids are asleep so I can read them in greater detail.
    What I like about the forums is the wealth of knowledge and advice that is available to everyone.

------------------
    AJM108

Jim M.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

As a volunteer in a small state I found very quickly that I can get great ideas from the other 49 states very quickly. I've always been a fan of 'not reinventing the wheel'. If someone has found something that works and it's similiar to something I need, that's a great reference. Certainly more reliable than ordinary sales literature. The wealth of experience being shared is just amazing. Where I see 4 or 5 structure calls per year, some of the members see that in a sinlge shift.

Since my employer has a high spped T-1 connection I check in daily. Always on my own time of course

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Howdy E33,
    Since I've found the forum section in firehouse.com I generally come here at least once a day. Looking for advice and giving advice if I feel my knowledge is adequate to answer the question. Hope to see you in the postings.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Mantua,NJ

P Bishop
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I try to look at the forums daily, some days not able to do that. Seems like some days are to busy. Winter time when things slow down, I plan to check and read every day. The information on the forums is tremendous. One of the other posts said-Don't re-invent the the wheel if you don't have too. The ideas are great! Well I could ramble for a while but will stop.

------------------
    P. Bishop

ladyfyrftr1125
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am new to the Forums. I have visited every day. I particularly like the Public Education section. I think that it would be great to share ideas with other educators. I am excited about the potential for information that I may gather.

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

I visited every day through the long dark winter, but now we have new people to train I am too busy to get on except about 2 times a week. I like to read what everyone in the world is talking about and the ideas, and solutions are almost always helpfull.I will be leaving the "ice" on the 2nd of Nov now. I get to stay and train some of the new firefighters on how we run down here in Antarctica. I will be traveling for 2 months after that but next jan I should be on daily again, as the long winter gets ready to start again. laters Tim

------------------
    safety is not luck it is a decision

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I admit I don't visit often as I would like but I do enjoy dropping in when I can and seeing what the world is up to.

It's a wonderful way of keeping in touch with firefighters all around the world.

This is a fabulous site and facility we can access can you imagine where we would be without the internet???

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I visit at least 7 times a week. I like seeing what others are doing in other parts of the country, new ideas, viewpoints etc...
    even the bickering to a point.

------------------
    ED C.
    "Doin' it for lives and property !"
    <A HREF="http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/ptfd21/index.htm"" TARGET=_blank>http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/ptfd21/index.htm"</A> Pittsfield Twp. F.D.

[This message has been edited by PTFD21 (edited November 01, 1999).]

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Haven't visited too often in the last couple of months. In the beginning of August, I transferred from our department's training division (staff hours 8-5) back to being a company captain (24 on, 1 day off , 24 on, 5 days off). This new schedule has allowed my wife and I to pursue some of our favorite pastimes, hiking, backpacking, biking and some local travel through New England. Love this time of year. Now that winter is on the way I'm sure I'll be visiting more often.

I like getting advice and hearing how other firefighters are accomplishing our mission.

The part of the forum I don't like is the constant bickering back and forth like little kids. My department is better than yours...We are busier than you...We train more...You only do it for the money...You only do it for the glory...I'M BETTER THAN YOU...etc, etc, etc,. We all have our own opinions and way of doing things. The type of departments we belong to and the equipment we have is usually determined by the localities we live in. I guess I should learn to ignore most of this BS and concentrate on learning from other peoples posts and maybe offering some advice of my own now and then. Just my opinion.

firefighter60
    Firehouse.com Guest

E33, good tread you started here. I try to visit the forums three or four times a week. Most of the time I can pick up some ideas to take back to the rest of my department. The major things I dislike are the arguments about who has the better department and just about all the arguments between volunteer vs. paid departments. We all do the same job, some of us are just fortunet to do it in an area that can afford to pay their firefighters. Everyone keep up the good work. This area is an excellent tool for anyone in the fire service.

------------------
    David Ferguson
    Lt. Hookstown VFD

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Howdy E33,
    I'm signing on to take a look around at least twice a day. I'm from Joisey also. I'm down south though. I'm approx. between Exit 3&4 of the NJ Turnpike. Camden Co.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I just recently found this forum and according to my wife I spend way to much time here. As an experienced medic I like the EMS part where I can learn how others do it and express my never ending opinions about medicine. As a green Firefighter with only a year and a half getting paid, I like to read the posts, but honestly I don't feel qualified to express an opinion....yet. For now I'll let the older and wizer heads prevail.

FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I try to stop by once a day. I don't always post something, but if I feel that itch, then I start typing. I see that most of the people that have made postings here in this particular forum, seem to be the site regulars if you know what I mean.

There is a wealth of information out here, I enjoy finding out how other people do things. I may not be doing it the right way, and you may know how it gets done.... We aren't trying to re-invent the wheel here.

I've been (and still am) a volunteer Firefighter. I love it. I aspire to become a paid Firefighter. Also am an EMT. I love EMS too. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge from you all, I hope to continue to learn.

Marc McDonald

Thread Information