Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    LT382
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow THE GREAT FLOYD FLOOD

GREETINGS FROM GREENVILLE NORTH CAROLINA. HOME OF THE RECENT HURRICANE FLOYD FLOOD. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRE SERVICE FOR TWENTY YEARS. ALL THIS TIME I HAVE WAITED FOR WHAT WE CALL THE, "BIG ONE".LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT THE "BIG ONE" WAS NOT A FIRE,BUT A FLOOD! OUR RIVER IS NORMALLY 125 FEET WIDE BUT ROSE TO A WIDTH OF 2.5 MILES. I AM STILL FEELING THE EFFECTS FROM THE FLOOD AT MY STATION. 75 % OF MY RESPONSE AREA IS STILL UNINHABITED. AND IF FEMA BUYS IT OUT,THE FUTURE OF MY STATION MY BE IN QUESTION. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE EXPRESSED CONCERN FOR US. BE SAFE BROTHERS!

CHVFD417
    Firehouse.com Guest

We did not have it as bad as the people around Greeneville, Tarboro, Goldsboro, and Kinston. But we had out share. During Floyd our district was cut into 3 water locked areas. From the station we could respond to about 1/4 of the district, another area covered about 1/3 of the district, and the balnce was in really hard to cover. We were smart enough to contact local companies in the district and posted equipment and personnel in those locations.

Hope you get back to as close to normal as soon as possible.

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good Luck guys, hope everything gets back to normal for everyone down there real soon. Up in the northeast we lucked out again this year. Floyd and all the other storms did only minimal damage with downed tree limbs and power lines. Nothing like what happened to you guys. Hang in there.

firejinx104
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well Floyd paid us the first visit. He decided to land in the center of our island. They say by the end of December the whole beach front should be open to the public again. The bad thing is the CAMA line is at the road, so we'll see how much beach we have left. We had flooding on the first 3 rows of the beach right after the storm and a few other places on the island. To my knowledge only a handful of places have been flooding when it rains, the hardest part is that it rises with the tide. I hope that everything works out with all the other departments that had to deal with floyd.

Thread Information