Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Waterous pumps

lunchbox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Waterous pumps

I am a new driver/pump operator and have been told 2 separate things in regards to setting the relief valve.1) set it as soon as you pull up to the sean and put truck into pump. 2) only set it f you have more than 1 line operating.

------------------

morning and have a good day

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am by far not an expert, but I can tell you how I was taught. All of are trucks have waterous pumps, 3-2 stage, 1-single stage. We set our relief to the first line, than adjust to the line requiring the most pressure (ie longer lay, upper floors, ect.). This protects the pump and equipment from a waterhammer. But more import, say for example you have a line pulled and operating at 150# on the pump and they pull a second line. You go to turn on the relief valve and its set at 75# by mistake (we try to keep ours preset to 150). Now the crew with the first line is fairly concerned about their water pressure!
    Just my .02! If I am mistaken, pls let me know!

Stay safe...
    Mark

Probie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree... We were taught and practice setting the relief valve to the first line. We use a range of 130 to 150 and preset it during the morning check out. You can always adjust as the sit. changes. the pressure might also change depending on the type of tip on the end of the line. straight tip vs. fog.

Dean C. Olsen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Greetings from Washington State:

As for setting and using the pressure relief valve on a Waterous pump I always preset my relief at 120 psi, and any time that there was a line pulled the valve was turned on and operating. The number one question for your apparatus is what type of relief valve are you using?

On our old Engine we had a manual control relief valve that had an on/off switch. This valve was explained to me to be able to handle pressure surges from excessive water pressure when a line was suddenly shut down. As I came to find out by reading further into the literature, the valve will only handle a 5 to 10 psi fluctuation in pressure. Read up on your mannual and use extreme caution when using these valves for safety. Allways pay close attention to the intake and discharge pressures, and learn to listen to the sounds of your pump, these are the best tools for a good pump operator.

The pump has been since overhauled and put on a new chassis. After the overhaul, the gauges and relief controls have been replaced by computerized equipment. If this is the case of your apparatus, it is very easy to set the upper pressure limit, and the computer will automatically control the engine speed to control your discharge pressure. Any excess pressure from surcharges will be either dumped into the tank, or to the ground. In either case, read the operators manual and be safe.

------------------
    Captain Dean C. Olsen

Captain Matt Miller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

In response to your question in my 10 years of service I have been around Waterous pumps my advice is to set your pressure at 150# depending on the nature of the fire you may need to set it higher or lower for 2nd floor operations and things like that but you can also contact Waterous and they can give you a better answer. Our Dept S.O.P. is that the pressure is set at 150# on the first line pulled. But you should also learn to listen to your truck and how it sounds and the changes in sound that can tell you alot.
    Remember when in doubt ask.

Capt. Matt Miller
    Brooklyn Fire Protection District
    Engine Co.551

Thread Information