SoonToBeRookie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post AGILITY TEST AND BLUE LIGHTS

I will soon be joining a Dept., pending the agility test. I am wondering if it is as hard as everyone says it is, or is it like hell week back in high school football.
    I am also wondering if anyone out there can give me a few pointers on how to prepare for this, to make it a bit easier when taking. I was also asked by a couple guys I hang out with on the Dept.to ask about a "blue light permit." I guess that's where you may respond out of your personal vehicle to fire calls, and to the station with lights and siren on your personal vehicle. I know their Dept. does not have that, but they want to know if that is a common thing in other Depts. If it is, they want to know if 1. does it cut the response time drastically. 2. How do they go about getting this permit for their Dept.

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

You should find all the help you need for the physical test at this site :www.firefighter-challenge.com

I don't think I can be of much help regarding the blue light permit, Sorry!

------------------
    Learn all the jobs, at some point you'll have to do them

fire24
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

hi there

been on the fire and ems for 4 years now we do not let are fire or ems to use light they do not help respon times.will i hope you like the fire seves and do good on your test

------------------
    jack laatz

gregh
    Firehouse.com Guest

In New York State, blue lights are used by volunteer firefighters and are considered courtesy lights. This means that a motorist has no obligation to pull over for a blue light. It also does not give you the right to break any speed limits. Sirens are allowed on emergency response apparatus and chiefs vehicles only. The response time varies depending on who is in front of you. Sometimes people will pull right over for you, other times they just keep going at their present speed and yet other times they just slow down and stay in your way. The important thing to remember in New York State is that the blue light does not give you the right to breakl any laws regarding traffic or otherwise. It is a privelege which should not be abused.

Dwight Conrad
    Firehouse.com Guest

Indiana blue light laws are just like New York. We cannot excede the speed limit either. I live in the country and don't have much of a problem with traffic. But when I lived in the city, it was hopeless to run a bluelight. The permit, however, you would probably talk to your chief or high athority to obtain it.

Good luck with your acceptance.

Skidz
    Firehouse.com Guest

WELL I DONT KNOW HOW YOUR STATE MANDATES BLUE LIGHT BUT LIKE INDIANA AND NEW YORK THE STATE OF ILLINIOS IS THE SAME THE BLUE LIGHT IS A COURTESY LIGHT. IT ONLY ASKS THE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF YOU TO PULL OVER YOU ARE NOT ALLOW TO BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT OR ANY THING ELSE. THE PHYSICAL AGILITY DO THIS EAT RIGHT, RUN, DO LIGHT TO MODERATE WEIGHT TRAINING UNTIL THE TEST AND THEN IT IS IMPORTANT TO STAY FIT. BECUASE THE JOB YOU WANT IS PHYSICALLY DEMANDING AND YOU NEED TO BE FIT. LOOK AT THE STATS OF THE FIREFIGHTERS DYING BECAUSE OF HEART ATTACKS ITS NOT PRETTY.

BE SAFE AND GOOD LUCK

SKIDZZZ

------------------
    PROUD, PROFESSIONAL, PROGRESSIVE

mfd632
    Firehouse.com Guest

hi i can't speak for the u.s being from ont. can. but here we use green lights they do not give us the right to break traffic laws but traffic has to give way or will face charges.i find it does give slightly better response time and the police do give leeway but safety is the most importent.your dept. needs you on the fireground not in the ditch!!!!!

------------------
    tim

Probie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings... I've been a testing agent at agility testing for my dept. Are they running you through the standard test? If you could let me know what the stations/skills are I may be better able to give a word or two on the subject... Plus.. check out the web site in the above reply.. It will hopefully be of use to you. and remember... short, strong, fast swings to the lower half of the sled will get the job done in the least amount of time, working the weight side to side...

Thread Information