Thread: Quick Question

72jmb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Quick Question

How do you get the guys on your department to still let you do things even though your pregnant? I was told by my chief that I am still able to do the support unit which consist of me helping with staging, filling air bottles, and doing medical for rehab if the ambulance cannot be there. The funny thing is is that my dads my captain and all the other older gentlemen let me do anything I want within a set of limits. But all the younger ones that are about my age won't let me left a finger. That even goes for doing things around the station. The older guys say it's because they think of me as there little sister and keep reminding me that they did almost the same thing when I first joined the department 4 1/2 years ago and that it is just going to take time for them to get used to the idea. But, I'm worried that by the time they get used to the idea. I'm not going to be able to do anything except sit in dispatch. By the way they are just as excited as the new grandpa. I'm just looking for some suggestions on how to handle them.

Thanks!!!!!!

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Congratulations! The guys on your Department are just making sure that you and the "little one" are safe.

------------------
    Take care and be safe...Lt. Gonzo

Brandy620
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi, you have a tough one. Expecially with your dad as a captain. And everyone think's of you like that.
    We have two women who had babies on our dept. One's husband was on the team also.
    How far along are you?
    Had any problems so far?
    In our dept. we let them do anything they wanted or felt up to except go in a building on fire. We kept the mask's off, them.
    I would say do what you want anyway's. It's your body and you know your limit's. Also when that paiger goes off. Make sure you don't forget the limit's you set for yourself. The adrenaline rush is fantastic, but....you are still pregnant.
    With you being expecting, the guy's might realize your not just a little sister anymore but a grow women who had made her(your) own choices.
    But you know, there is an upside to this. They didn't tell you to take time off.
    And they still let you be involved. So your situation is not so bad.
    Cheer up. Babies are wonderful. Congradulation.
    What does the father think of all this?
    Take care, Brandy 620

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Try contacting the org. Women in the Fire Service. They have a web-site (but I don't know it off the top of my head).

Thread Information