Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Colin Fraser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool New guy on the block

Hi to all out there. I'm the new kid on the forum from Scotland.
    First time on it and hoping to get some feedback from fellow fireys.Been in the job for 22 years and reached the rank of Sub Officer which I think is the same as a Lt in USA FD's. Served at various stations and in Fire Safety and have now been temporary promoted to Station Officer and working back in our HQ in the Emergency Planning.We had a great street party up town (200,000+)on Hogmanay with 4 ton of fireworks in 5 minutes!!!
    Hope you all had a great time and best wishes for the year 2000.
    Drop me a line as I'm always interested in other FD's

Colin

------------------

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Welcome Colin,

Nice to hear from you. Glad you had a good New Year's party. In the states, we watched the celebrations from around the world on TV so we knew everything would be OK when you guys didn't disintergrate because of Y2K. This is sure the place to learn about other FDs. By the way, how are you on the bagpipes ?

------------------
    Mike Gentili

Aff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

subs in the fire service, WOW!
    LOL, welcome and have fun...
    mark

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Mark said what I was thinking to Welcome, have fun and post you thoughts and ideas.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Colin Fraser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome and I'm sure going to enjoy my visits to the site. Unfortunately not all Scotsmen play the bagpipes, but I do wear the kilt on special occassions.

kfdffrab
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Welcome Colin,
    There sure is alot to see here in this web site and all of the links. Hope to hear more from Scotland. Always interested in other dept's. I am an Industrial FF here at Kodak. Are there many Industrial fire dept's or brigades in Scotland? Feel free to e-mail me if you wish. Happy New Year from Rochester N.Y.

Roger E. Welch Sr.

[This message has been edited by kfdffrab (edited January 06, 2000).]

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Welcome Colin,
    I hope you find your visits here as entertaining as mine have been.
    I'm part Scott but I was never told which part and I do like to wear Scottish Plaid.
    So,what DO Scottsmen wear under thier Kilts? I saw a photograph of a Pipesman sitting on a curb during a break in a parade once, it was not a pretty sight.
    Did you see the movie"Braveheart" starring Mel Gibson? I wondered about the historical accuracy of it but I enjoyed it because it had Irish, English and Scottsmen in it,all of which I am.
    I hope you have a bonney good time here,laddie!!
    Good luck and be careful out there

------------------
    EXJAKE

Break-N-Entry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yo! Break-N-Entry in da house givin a big shout out hoot mon to Colin who's livin large in charge in Scots Land, whatz up?
    Just wanna let you know that through B-N-E's veins runs some of da best scotch there is! Word up!

Colin Fraser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hi Roger,

Nice to hear from you. We have a few industrial fire brigades at some of the big industrial complexes and a total of nine brigades which cover the whole of Scotland. Now we have got our own government (Yahoo!!) away from that bunch down south we think they have plans to amalgamate the nine down to three. This should'nt affect us but will mean the number of Control Rooms and staff who handle all the fire calls will be reduced. Since my wife Lori is a Senior Control Room Operator in our Control she may be under threat, but we will have to wait and see. Keep in touch or email for more talk and info.

Colin

[This message has been edited by Colin Fraser (edited January 06, 2000).]

Colin Fraser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hi EXJAKE,

What a mixture in you !!! As you like to wear the plaid you must have more Scots than the rest. The real true Scots wear fresh air under the kilt and yes it can be a bit of a sight.
    Braveheart was great even with an Aussie playing the key role and it really got our national pride up and running at the English - pity any English walking past the cinemas after this film. As for historic detail - well its like all films a wee bit bending of the truth never harmed a good story, especially as we get to beat the English.Keep in touch

Colin

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Aye Collin, what a mix indeed! My scots on one side,my Irish on the other,and my English in the middle. Right where the English ought to be.
    Thats what I loved about"Braveheart." I can accept Mel as a Scotish rogue for awhile because Australian are as mixed as Americans but we kicked the English out early in our history.
    No fire talk,just"Roots" today!

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

[This message has been edited by EXJAKE (edited February 23, 2000).]

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Collin, where did ya go laddie?
    I saw a program on Nessy and wished they showed more scenery. All we ever see of Scotland is old castles and golf courses.
    What is winter weather like for fireys?
    Some of my roots are in the land where golf was first played and the cry of "Freedom" rang out before the new world was even discovered.

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

[This message has been edited by EXJAKE (edited February 24, 2000).]

Colin Fraser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

EXJAKE,

Technology sucks when your computer decides to do a mini millenium on you and crashes. It happened in january and we were off line for three weeks for repairs and then last week it did the same thing!!!!
    Back on line last night and a stack of stuff waiting for me.
    Hope you are well.
    Weather here has been a mixture of gale force winds, heavy rain, frost -8C oh! and some of that white stuff but with us it was about 1/2inch which still brings the city to a standstill - not like some of the snowstorms the US has been getting.

Still in HQ doing Operations Planning and its one of the jobs that is coming up for vacancies at that rank - interviews in early April - so fingers crossed.

Firewise we are having a bad run of fatalities compared to last years(4), so far we are up to 16 and still another month for the fiscal year. The majority are elderly and since we have an excellent school training programme to educate the young we will have to look at the way to assist the elderly.

Hope to hear from you later, till then stay safe.

Colin

21TFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hi Colin and Welcome to the forums from the Great State of Ohio. I hope you will find information that is of value to you and your department. My family and I have always wanted to visit your wonderful country. Take Care & Stay Safe. John.

Thread Information