Stan Caesar
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post station alert tones

Looking for any info. on low pitch vs. high
    pitch station alert tones.

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey Stan, how it going. Have a question for you what do you mean by hi and lo pitch.

Have a good day and be safe.

Joe
    Local 3905

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I worked for a few years on a department that had a unique tone: sounded like a #7 on a phone pad. Not too high, not too low. Good audible range, audible to all. A 6 second blast. Could wake the dead!

Where I work now has very low pitched tones that are hard to hear in a noisy environment (ie: the bay with any kind of activity going on). I kinda miss that older tone.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.

Kenny

***DISCLAIMER***
    All postings I have &/or will post are strictly my opinions. I am representing only myself here, not the IAFF, Local 3133, or my employer. No animals were/will be harmed from the production of this disclaimer. Thank you.
    ***END OF DISCLAIMER***

Trauma_Dog
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have some tones that are 2 highs together, I often think i can hear dogs and cats screaming when we get a call.

Captain Matt Miller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Stan,
    over the past few years I have been with two differant departments. My personel choice is the lower pitch tones. At night if you have the radio up load on a higher pitched tone it will almost give you a heart attack.

DED1645
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I would have to say that I got used to the three beeps in a medium tone. I can't say hi or low, but if you slept threw that the first peron to the house bells would really get your attention. Large red buttons located around the station that ring very very loud bells located around the station. 1 ring engine, 2 tower, 3 everyone run. Any medic local would be called in by landline by communication that rang a loud electric airhorn in the station.

------------------
    David DeCant
    firefighter/NREMT-B
    Originally Mantua,NJ
    Presently Lindenwold,NJ(I'm not a member of any of this District's dept's.)

Fire Soup
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Stan, I bet your looking more for the physiological effects of high vs. low alert tones and how they effect us throughout our careers. Is this a good guess? I would be very interested to hear of any studies pertaining to this area also.

ResQRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

You have to watch out for some of the lower tones -- certain transmitters (like the Motorola Desk Trac) will "clip" tones (audio filtering used to make your voice sound better) below 300 hz which could cause sporadic or non actviation of pagers, plectrons, siren controllers, etc...

------------------
    Rev. John G. Fleischmann
    Director
    Suffolk Co. NY CISM Team

Thread Information