Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: New Member

SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool New Member

Hello all......My name is Scott W., and I am a volunteer FF/EMT in Savanna IL. (population 4000) I am working on my seventh year as a member of our service. I am a 33 year old engineering tech with a major company. BUT....everyday I wake up, wishing I was a professional firefighter in a larger city. I give 110% to my dept, but have a chief that only wants to do things his way(thats another story).
    Anyway, I look forward to everything this site has to offer.

Scott

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Scott, as a 12+ year volunteer I know how difficult it is to institute change. just make sure that you continue to do your job right and eventually others will observe and follow. there is no quick & easy fix. only time and percevierence will help. always remember why you joined in the first place. as far a going pro? only you can decide if thats what you really want to do. keep an eye on the forums to see what others think about life in the pro world.
    sign me, volunteer and proud of it

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Scott and welcome.
    Alot of us are in the same boat with chiefs who only want it their way. My chief is sometimes that way and me being a captain, we sometimes argue about his calls(usually in privite after the run, but sometimes when the call is made on scene). Keep trying to work through this as I have and do your job the best you can. Always remember why you are there and just be patient and everything will work out.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

[This message has been edited by craig7404 (edited January 07, 2000).]

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Scott , If your interested Atlanta Fire is hiring right now . Once you start battling the beast ,you can never really enjoy any other job. If I can be of any help let me know.

Lt.Todd Edwards
    Atlanta Fire.

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello from the same great state of Illinois.

I understand what you are saying. I am the Asst. chief of a fire dist. with a total population of around 18,000.

We were total vollies about 19 mos. ago. We all worked hard to pass a large tax increase and we are a paid on call today.

This was a big step for some FF. We lost some people and gained some.

We are lucky we have a chief that will listen to you and make his choice with imput from his asst. chiefs.

We still have a long way to go, but it will get here with alot of hard work and time.

Pride is a colorless,tastless,orderless thing but it is very hard to swallow

------------------

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

By the way SFD161 did your area just have an Army Depot Fire Dept just close down.
    I read a story about this about 3 mos. ago.
    Maybe Im wrong, but the name Savanna rings a bell.

Keep it burning

------------------

SFD161
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

The depot fire dept. is still in service, but not for long. Uncle Sam is having a hard
    time making up his mind on when to finally close the depot.

Thanks for the reply....161

Thread Information