Gullikson29
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Call me the "kid"

Hi, I'm new to this stuff. I'm only 17 right now but have aspired to be a firefighter for as long as I can remember. I am currently enrolled in a fire service class here in Washington state and recieve high school credit for it. It seems to be a good deal to me since we learn from firefighters, the IFSTA manuals and have free access to aparatus since our classroom is a fire station. I am also an Explorer with the near-by fire department Monroe Fire District #3(www.monroefire.org). If any of y'all have any advice for a young sparky who would listen to just about anyone just so long as I can be the best damn firefighter the world has ever seen let me know.

firefly1361
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Welcome to the Forums. This is a great place to meet fellow brother and sister fire fighters. Good luck in your training. You'll love being a fire fighter. I'm a Fire Fighter/EMT. If you have any questions feel free to ask you can E-mail me at firefly1361@hotmail.com I live in a small town in Maryland. I live about two min away from the station. I'm just a Volunteer right now but I'm hoping to go career. Best of luck to ya and Stay Safe.

Heather Helm
    Gamber & Community Fire Co.
    Engine Co. 13

The Snake Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey man, welcome on board! Just wanted to let you know that there is alot of resident programs out there that you might check into to. What is a resident program? Well, it where you live in a fire station for free, usually with 6 other ff and you do shifts in exchange for housing. In our program you have apartments upstairs. We have 4 apartments and 2 ff live in them each for exchange for 1/24 hr. shift and one 13 hrs shift. If you want more info. look up www.snakeriverfire.com oooooohhhhh by the way did I happen to mention that we are right across the highway from Keystone Ski Resort in Colorado? Tempting aye

------------------
    Thanks,
    The Snake Man
    Be safe!

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey dude you sound alot like me 22 years ago. But after college the money was better in the private sector for me. Firefighting was in the blood, so I stayed in the volunteer dept that I joined at 16, which I'm still part of. After all these years and all the classes I have been to, the best advice I can give is to never stop learning because fire changes everyday. There is always something new to worry about. Keep up your training and always listen closely to the Vets. and use you head and the lessons that you have and will learn.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Thread Information