Just wondering how others in areas with major (and minor) universities handle false alarms. And are the buildings sprinklered and what-not. I went to the University of New Haven (CT) and we had a fire in the freshmen dorm in December '96 prior to finals. It was contained to the room because the door had been shut, but there was nothing left in that room. The two girls lost everything but the clothes on their backs since they weren't in the room. I believe the cause to have been unattended candles, though Christmas lights were quickly banned from the dorms. (Candles were already not permitted, though they were very common -- even the RA's had them.) Heck, being the safety-conscious fire science major that I was, I had some, too! UNH has since built two new dormatories with sprinkler systems, but false alarms are still common. When I was there, either the whole building or the floor that the false alarm was on would get fined -- which ended up being a couple of dollars added to your end of semester bill by the time it was divied up.

Just thought I'd bring up the topic for discussion.......