Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: New Volunteer

Firestopper
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post New Volunteer

Hello and Greeting fellow firefighters! I am so new to this forum and the fire department, I still have creases in my Bunker gear! We are a small volunteer department, responding directly to about 500 homes, but thousands of acres of wildland. I have yet to respond to a fire, any wisdom about "first" fires anyone can pass along, I'd appreciate!

fireman14us
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the biz! The most important thing to do on your 1st fire (wildland or structure) is to stick with someone that's been doing it for a while, and learn as much as you can from them. Here's a couple few tips for you:

1. In a forest fire, remember to keep an eye out for fire going over top of you. Also, stick with at least one partner, and if possible you should have a radio.

2. Keep a level head. Be careful. Observe as much as you can, and let the info sink in.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

fireman14us
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the biz! The most important thing to do on your 1st fire (wildland or structure) is to stick with someone that's been doing it for a while, and learn as much as you can from them. Here's a couple few tips for you:

1. In a forest fire, remember to keep an eye out for fire going over top of you. Also, stick with at least one partner, and if possible you should have a radio.

2. Keep a level head. Be careful. Observe as much as you can, and let the info sink in.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hello and welcome to the forums from a brother south of you in Texas. The best advice I can give you on your first fire is to stay close to someone who has been at it awhile, don't get to excited, use your head and listen to the firefighters around you. One thing to remember is until you are confident in what you are doing as a Volunteer try not to get in to deep and be very careful.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

Dave Grice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Your gear's so bright I can see the yellow glow from up here in Ohio!! (Just kidding!) I agree with our brothers that have written before me. As long as you are proficient with getting your turnouts on and your SCBA, that is a great start. Also, learn all the tools that your dept. carries like the back of your hand. Along with staying close to an experienced FF, be sure to try to stay relatively calm. (Better said than done!) The more excited you are the quicker you will drain your energy. Good luck and kick a little tail! Hope you enjoy the forums because you will learn a lot from everyone here. Stay safe.

LMRCap1
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with the rest of the people about staying with someone who has experiance. Another important thing to remember is don't let it overwhelm you. Be straight forward with who you go in with-It may not be macho but if you get spooked let em know. I would rather find out that way then to turn around and your gone. Stay with your partner and don't be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb question is one not asked that you can't answer.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Les Hartford, Captain
    Maybee, MI

Firefighter 108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

train and learn as much as you can before you go to your first fire. and always remeber the frist rule of firefighting as that your no.1. your pranter no.1a and everone else is after that. listen to the old guys they sound out dated but they have alot of experncie and knowlge. be safe and take care. P.S. learn PPE. and SCBA. inside and out they are the FF. best tool that can save your but when allelse fails. the key is that everone goes home after the call

Thread Information