Capt551
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation FIRE Act - To Be or Not To Be

Has anyone recently heard anything on the FIRE Act? I recently received a letter from the Chair of the Science committee, and he did not seem to approve of this bill and it seemed as though it has/will die in committee before it gets its day in hearing! www.house.gov will get you to the house home page. FIRE Act in key word search will get you the latest information and the text of the bill!

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You can also check out the CFSI (Congressional Fire Services Institute) site. www.cfsi.org, I believe.

tjhuser
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

YAHOO! (hope this is not a trademark infringement) Someone in Washington D.C. has figured out there are other emergency responders other than the cops (no offense, I was a cop for 10 years). I cannot recall ever seeing a police department having to have a boot drive in order to have funds for fuel for their cars. I do not ever recall a police department receiving a "hand-me-down" vehicle from the fire department. Police get everything. It is time the fire/EMS service was recognized, and received the SAME funding and federal support that the law enforcement community has received for years.

------------------
    Thomas J. Huser

DVFD637
    Firehouse.com Guest

Is this bill by Sen Dodd, and DeWine an add on to the FIREAct. Or Bu##S***? The last line in the story says that govt's will have to match 10%. Should we not just fight for the orginial bill? I sent nasty gram to my Rep Max Sandlin TX for having the distintion of being on the top of the list of 18 TX Reps who DO NOT SUPPORT VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS. Kind of sad since I know for a fact if he called me when he has a fire I would not slow up as I headed to the station to respond to his call for help. I guess that what makes us firefighters so good. We will always be there when called. We will have a place next to God because we do not let Idiots get us down. So those that don't support us we will be there for you when you call, but remenber one day God will call you and he will remenber.

LMRCap1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Was reading about this in Firehouse Magazine? The way it sounded was the only reason it wouldn't pass is because Fire Departments were not supporting it. Any mony we can get is a help. Lets investigate and if it looks good lets get together through the forum and show our support. The problem seems to be the Fire Service is not making enough noise. I know there is enough of us to make the political powers listen.

Les Hartford

------------------

KiwiFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Here in New Zealand, For the Government to even consider giving anything even close to that much money would be a miricle.
    I beleive that Emergency Services need to be properly funded. People say that we are funding a service that at some small town stations may not get a call for a while. BUT what happens when they are needed, and the funding has not been there, will they have what the need to do the job?? I applaud those that are pushing the funding and hope that it is successful.

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think that the FIRE Act could do the fire service some good. Check out www.hometown.aol.com/Ry90an/WS/FIREAct.htm

------------------
    Ryan B.

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I think that the FIRE Act would benefit the fire service in this country.

------------------
    Ryan B.
    Stay Safe
    Warminster Fire Department
    Station 90
    Bucks County

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Not enough...not even close...

Let's look at this more closely, shall we?

According to the NVFC, there are 31,114 fire departments in the U.S. All of them would be eligible, so we'll assume they all apply.

The Fire Act, as it stands, would put up $100 Million in year 1, to be spread over these 31,114 agencies, so that comes out to $3,214 per fire department nationwide. That'll get you approximately one SCBA with integrated pass and one spare cylinder, a couple of portable radios, about 1/80th of a new engine or 1/165th of a new quint.

Now, in year 2, they're throwing in the BIG money...over 3 times as much as year 1 ($370 Million). So, lets see, $370M/31,114 is...running out of fingers and toes...oh, yea: $11,892 apiece. That's a number you can actually do something with, but not very much. Now you could be talking about a pump overhaul and upgrade, new hose for an entire engine, or SCBA and spares for an entire rig. Better.

So, for 2 years, if everybody gets a prorated share, that's a whopping $15,106. Thnat would be great for an ongiong funding stream. But...as a one-shot program coming from a government that, among other things, has admitted to over $4 Billion in overpayments to contractors alone last year, that borders on insulting. You can bet that I'll be at the front of the line trying to take my company's share (and some other companies' shares, if I can get them), but it's still too little with too much fanfare.

jboczek
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree! It will be interesting to see what FEMA comes up with guidelines for dispensing the funds. I'll be up at the front of the line, too, trying to replace our 43, 40 or 28 year old pumpers. We could probably get all 3 for about $400,000, but I guess that is a bit more than $15,000, isn't it. Really, it's going to be time to suck up to the politicians more than ever - and the best one at it will win.

dfc18
    Firehouse.com Guest

This fire act looks good on paper but let's look at it on the inside who is this gonna benefit? My guees most of departments that are just making it nit the departments that have the budgets under 10,000.00 dollars. i know our department will not benefit from it if we try to get a grant of lets say 100,000 the match would be 10,000.00 now how can a department with a bugget of 7,000.00 get 10 grand to match? Makes your think who they are trying to help certainly not the POOR departments

cwerner
    Firehouse.com Guest

You are right. I am certainly in agreement with the idea of removing any matching requirement for departments that are under a certain size and a specified monetary income.

But its unlikely that will happen. Another point is that there needs to be more pressure and not let this be accepted as the end of the political efforts. This is a good start but thats it, just a start.

ChiefJTL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

The Fire Act is the tip of the iceberg in relation to what our future goals should be. While it is appreciated, the funding is what is to be expected from a legislative body that has a low opinion of the fire service. Now that the fire act has brought attention to the fact that we need funding, it is time to turn up the heat on the political animals. Don't rest and think the battle is won. This is merely a skirmish, a prelude to much larger battles to come.

------------------
    "Stay in the House"

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can't wait to see the politics begin. $10,000 a department, yeah right. 60% of you won't see a dime.

Los Alamos just got 1 Billion for being burnout, the rest of the service 400 Million. BLM, PArks and Forestry will see more than a Billion extra, I guess we don't really matter.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Originally posted by LHS*:
    I can't wait to see the politics begin. $10,000 a department, yeah right. 60% of you won't see a dime.

Los Alamos just got 1 Billion for being burnout, the rest of the service 400 Million. BLM, PArks and Forestry will see more than a Billion extra, I guess we don't really matter.

I'm with ya, LHS...I never expected to see a dime...after they got done burying us in paperwork, they'd have given it all to the big cities in order to help appease the welfare masses. You know it as well as I do. This whole exercise has been a big, ugly joke.

Now, we've got a gutted bill that's authorized without an appropriation. That's about what one would expect. They won't kill it entirely before the election, because they don't have the stones for it. This thing, lame as it already was, is dead. Get used to it. They could have at least had the decency to kill it without torturing it first.

I don't wonder, LHS, I know that we don't really matter to the Feds. We've never mattered to them and and we never will. We don't even matter to 65% of our own residents (that's the percent in my Borough that don't even bother to return their fund raising letters each year). We matter a little to the Commonwealth of PA, they gave us a grant program this year...of course, this is an election year, so I'll only really be impressed if they follow it with something at a time when their jobs aren't on the line. We might matter to our Borough Council...we'll see what happens to our proposal for apparatus replacement next year.

The main problem is that general public goes on, fat dumb & happy, counting on the fact that we'll just keep doing what we're doing just for its own sake. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're not. Maybe some day we'll wise up and start enforcing the rules of the market on the public. In free market terms, it goes something like this:

Those who fail to provide superior levels of support aren't entitled to superior levels of coverage.

In other words, "you get what you pay for."

Just something to think about...

[This message has been edited by Bob Snyder (edited October 24, 2000).]

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bob,
    hit the nail square on the head with that one, Amen Brother!

RIT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I'm disappointed that the Police get money and that they can't seem to to find funding for us Fire fighters. Equipment doesn't grow on trees. Being from a small rural dept. equipment gets out dated and funding is low. Isn't about the people we serve, maybe I'm wrong.

Richard VanWinkle
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Fire Service will never get what law enforcement gets. Law enforcement types only have one enemy - the criminals. The Fire Service has too many enemies to join forces to get what we need. The union fights the volunteers, the volunteers fight the paid, the small fights the big, prevention fights suppression, suppression fights EMS etc. Only when all departments join forces and demand our fair share will we get it. Any guess when that will happen?

Capt551
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

It's been almost a year since I stared this topic and there are a lot of problems to be worked out with this. Not only do we have to continue the fight to educate the new regime in DC with the FIRE ACT, we in the fire service, and I speak for myself, we who are involved in FIRE need to ACT better toward each other to unite and bring about good for the entire emergency response family. Maybe someday the appreciation and support needed will be given, but I'm not sure if I will see it in my lifetime. Stay safe and keep a clear head.

ChiefMcD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

TOO LITTLE.......TOO LATE........

Thread Information