Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Intro

!resqron30!
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Intro

New kid in town and just wanted to introduce myself and suggest a topic for discussion.Firefighter Rescue Tech. with 26 years service.Enjoy varied activities some of which include racquetball,hockey,traveling in my motorhome to Winston Cup races,reading.Also run a small lawncare business during summer just to keep busy.Would like to communicate with others in the fire ems services and see how others feel about different issues and subjects related to our type of career.
    How about if we start with the issue of women in the fire service?I've always been curious why a woman would want to enter this field of work and although I'm sure there are those who can do as well as men I've only met one lady who demonstrated the ability to be capable of performing the tasks necessary.It is not my intent to be demeaning nor condescending here and my experience with women firefighters is limited at best.So those of you who would like to please enlighten me and set me straight if need be.Till I hear from some of you please ALL of you stay safe.
    Ron

------------------

firefly1361
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know you are just curious about why a female would join the Fire Service. Why does a man join? There are many females that are qualified to fight fires Me being one of them. I still may be a "Probie" but I'm just as qualified. My Great-Grandfather was a Baltimore City career man. I got into this field because I like helping people and it makes feel good knowing I did something positive for my Community. Also one of the most prized posessions of mine is my Great-Grandfathers Dept. Badge. I deeply respect him and hope to follow in his footsteps as a Fire Fighter/EMT and later on a Paramedic. I have encountered many hardships as a female in the fire service. I've taken many forms of harassment. I've learned to pull my own weight riding the engine. I've had my confidence and abilities tested. I guess you can call me Second Generation but in your experiences you may have had bad luck with female ff's. You need to give us a chance to prove ourselves instead of questioning our abilities.Take care and Stay Safe.

Heather Helm
    Gamber and Community Fire Co.
    Carroll Co. Engine Co.13
    Gamber, Maryland

firefly1361
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know you are just curious about why a female would join the Fire Service. Why does a man join? There are many females that are qualified to fight fires Me being one of them. I still may be a "Probie" but I'm just as qualified. My Great-Grandfather was a Baltimore City career man. I got into this field because I like helping people and it makes feel good knowing I did something positive for my Community. Also one of the most prized posessions of mine is my Great-Grandfathers Dept. Badge. I deeply respect him and hope to follow in his footsteps as a Fire Fighter/EMT and later on a Paramedic. I have encountered many hardships as a female in the fire service. I've taken many forms of harassment. I've learned to pull my own weight riding the engine. I've had my confidence and abilities tested. I guess you can call me Second Generation but in your experiences you may have had bad luck with female ff's. You need to give us a chance to prove ourselves instead of questioning our abilities.Take care and Stay Safe.

Heather Helm
    Gamber and Community Fire Co.
    Carroll Co. Engine Co.13
    Gamber, Maryland

21TFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the forums. If you travel around you will see that women in the Fire Service are not unusual and in fact are becoming quite commonplace. In the mid 1970's, a city in our area became one of the first anywhere to have a female FF. I remember looks of disbelief from visiting FF's and questions as to whether or not she could handle the job. YES - She could. The chief was very progressive and as he moved around the U.S. he hired women whenever there were qualified candidates. I remember the 3 I ran into up in Detroit in 1982, I believe one is an officer now. If I am not mistaken, there are several high ranking officer positions, including Chiefs of Departments that are filled with highly qualified females throughout the U.S. (maybe internationaly as well). Please don't judge anyone by gender alone, but by their qualifications and how they actually perform the job. We'll see what others have to say on this subject. Stay Safe.

JOHN J. DELUCA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Every time I see the question "will the women be able to do the job" I think of how many men that can't do this job. I love my job, and I will accept "anyone" who can do the job. We are going into the 21st century, stop with the tunnel vision and look at the big picture.

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Just like with generations of men -- it's in the blood.

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with John.I have worked with alot of female firefighters that could do the job as well as most men,Ive also worked with men that had no idea what they were doing.

I really think theres only a select few who can really do this job.It has nothing to do with sex,age or race.Its about there passion and heart.You have to love this kind of work to really be good at it.
    Be safe!!!!
    Lt.Todd Edwards/AFD

21TFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Picked this up on WOF & thought you'd be interested---FPNW NEWS: TACOMA, WA: Tacoma City manager Ray Corpuz announced that Eileen Lewis will replace Dick Moore as Fire Chief of the Tacoma Fire Dept. when Dick retires at the end of the month. She is Tacoma's first female Firefighter and a great friend to the buffs. [FPNW/WA2]. 7:30p.m.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

You asked why women would join ... I ask "Why not?"

When I moved to the country all I knew was that the local service was volunteers who gave up their time to protect the community. I was young, fit and capable thus I joined - I could not expect other people to put their lives on the line for my family and myself if I couldn't do the same for theirs.

I was the first female member in my brigade, and am now the first female officer in my Group. I am also an instructor and assessor. I love what I do - I help protect life and property.

Perhaps a question for you Ron is "Why did YOU join?"

I have learnt to judge EVERYONE on their individual merits regardless of sex, age, colour or creed. It's a great philosophy and seems to introduce me to remarkable people with unique and worthwhile contributions.

Take care out there

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

!resqron30!
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Want to thank those of you who responded to my topic regarding women in the fire service.
    As I said in my initial correspondence I meant no disrespect and have all the admiration in the world for anyone who has chosen the fire service as a career.It has been a curiosity of mine mostly because I felt that by the mere fact that they are women they would have to do more to prove themselves and work harder to be accepted .
    Just seems women would have quite a few more obstacles to overcome than men in this line of work.Those of you who have suceeded and moved into middle and upper management positions just proves clearly that women are capable which is something that I never doubted but perhaps because of my limited exposure to women firefighters was not very knowledegable about this particular subject.Again thank you all for educating me and for your candor.Stay safe and may ST. Florion be watching over all of you.
    Ron

Thread Information