Beaner128
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question General Hello and a question about Eye Protection.

Hello all, just a quick hello since this is my first time in the forums.

Our department recently purchase the Cairns goggles for us. This brought up some debate within the department as to whether or not the faceshields could then be removed. Our chief officers have decided that they would rather have both items on the helmet. Some people brought the fact that NFPA says either one or the other is fine. Cairns says that they have nothing in writing that says one or the other, and in fact some departments out there use both. I'd like to get some information to present either our chief officers or to the people that are bringing up the NFPA standards. Please let me know what some of you do regarding goggles/faceshields?

------------------
    Thank You

John Benik

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

To my knowledge, it is 100% NFPA compliant for you to have your helmet without the eye visor but with the approved set of goggles. PS, your chief should have a copy of current NFPA regulations so that he may answer your concerns with a definate answer not just a maybe.

[This message has been edited by smitheps (edited February 08, 2000).]

Beaner128
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We have no doubt that it's within the NFPA guidelines to use one or the other. I'm just wondering are there any departments out there that are currently using both or are most departments going with one or the other?

Boothby
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We just went to goggles without face shields on all our helmets here in Memphis.

------------------
    Larry Boothby
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Truck 3 A-shift
    Local 1784
    Memphis.

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Here's a stupid question -- how do you wear goggles with SCBA?

smitheps
    Firehouse.com Guest

Diane, If you have a SCBA mask on, it takes the place of your goggles and therefor you will not be wearing them

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you use the goggles, its ridiculous to keep the faceshields on, how do you apply the goggles with the face shield in the way. It sure will add more fuss to an operation which should be simple.

------------------
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of any department or organization I belong to.

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Okay, but if you take off (from the helmet) the face shield and then just have the mask on, you've lost that "extra" protection, haven't you?

It doesn't matter to me, we have New Yorkers with the cheesy "eye" flaps and don't use goggles except for Heavy Rescue training (once in a while you see someone at a see with them on).

Thread Information