Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face I scratched up the Chief's truck

thankfully not his personal vehicle, but the department's squad. I backed it up into the apparatus room for the first time and scraped up one fender (didn't break the tailight, thank God). In addition to purchasing copious amounts of icecream, I plan to wash and wax the truck. Any other ideas?

Firefighter Urs

Capt. Skippy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

How about just going and telling him the truth about what happened? Accidents happen. If you were not paying attention, then own up to your mistake, take your punishment like a man and move on. Learn from and try not to repeat it. Beyond that, call a body shop and have it fixed.

------------------
    Remember - Safety is a way of Life!

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Capt. Skippy.....set it straight from the start....nothing good will come out of covering it up....

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

I guess I didn't make myself clear--- I told my station capt. right away, then told the Chief. I guess I'm asking for additional ways to clear my conscience.

FF URS

bob1350
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, it was accident and it's over. You're just going to get kidded about it for a long long time until the next person on your dept. does something. We've hit apparatus doors, ran over radios and helmets. You name it, we've done it. Its been 4 years since I dropped my radio into a training grass fire. I still hear about. Its been 5 years since I drove the Hazmat truck 1 block to a gas station and scraped the top corner of it on a light pole. I still hear about. I'm sure everyone else has the same type of stories.

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

sorry for the misunderstanding.....let it go! expect some razzing though!

holton_explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

You scratched up the Cheifs truck...don't worry about it, i've heard of worse. Like a guy who responded to a structure fire, except he frogot to open the garage door before he barreled out of the barn...the door with him.

Capt. Skippy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

URSULAFORHAN

As others have said, grin and bear it. You did the right thing and as bob1350 said, we all have stories to bear. I haven't damaged any equipment, but was an IC for a false alarm drop. Problem was I got 2/3 of the way through the incident before I realized (thanks to a firefighter) that it was the building next door! I still hear about it at Christmas parties!

------------------
    Remember - Safety is a way of Life!

[This message has been edited by Capt. Skippy (edited July 08, 2000).]

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey big guy your just going to have to grin and bear it. I put a fire engine into a telephone pole in 1992. The bumber looked like a giant "U". I guess they figured out I better not drive any more, they made me a captain. It's been all uphill since then.

Signed

Chief "Bumper"

------------------
    Brian Johnson
    Assistant Chief
    Okinawa, Japan

chf jstano
    Firehouse.com Guest

Twenty plus years ago I became the reason our fire station has wider apparatus doors.( I still occasionally get ribbed about it.)I'm chief now,so there's hope.Enjoy the forums,it's a great place with some great people! STAY SAFE.

Thread Information