Thread: Emergency 51

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up Emergency 51

So how many of you lonely people out there know about the show emergency!. What is your favorite episode?. Is Emergency the reason you became an explorer of Fire Cadet?.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

My favorite episode would have to be the very first one "Wedsworth-Townsend Act" Parts I and II Yet I Have enjoyed dozens of other episodes including when Johnny and Roy are promoted to Captains and go back on all the memories of rescues they performed together...Another Two Parter !! Emergency did inspire me to enter this business but I also had family in the Fire Service and can remember being around fire stations since I was around 5 or so....I'm 29 Now

Dalma
    Firehouse.com Guest

It was one of my favorite shows when it first ran. Originally it was named Emergency and later the reruns were called Emergency 51.

Kevin Tighe (sp?) and Randolf Mantooth (sp?)

pokeyfd12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hoo boy, I have, from best I can tell, the entire original "Emergency" series on tape including the first episode. I guess the first episode, which started it all, is my favorite. For those that don't know, the first episode was where Johnny was a "rescue man" as he called it and Roy was an engine company captain. There was a "pilot" program starting that would train limited numbers of emergency workers, mainly those chosen by the LA County F.D., on how to initiate "emergency care" in the field. Believe it or not, Dr. Kelly Brackett was against it but wound up being the director of training.

Other than that one, I would say another original episode that sticks in my head was where John and Roy were on a plane coming back from a conference and a gentleman was having a heart attack on the plane. They just happened to have their equipment in the baggage compartment and sent a flight attendant down to get it.

To answer the other question of whether Emergency was the reason I became a FF, the answer is no. It's genetic. My grandfather was a FF, my three uncles were FF (one was Batt. Chief in FDNY), my brother is a FF and former chief and now I move into the ranks. A nice big Irish family of firemen. No cops. Just firemen, with a few healthcare (EMS, nurses, Dr's etc.) people mixed in.

"Rampart, this is Squad 51, how do you read, over?"

Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

JMP17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I used to watch every episode when I wa a kid, they were'nt reruns back then. I always thought thats what I want to do, It was the first and for a long long time only show to put out to the people what it is we do.(well sort of)I always liked the ones that involved tech. rescues.We have EMERGENCY to thank for starting the Paramedicne program ball rolling across this country.
    Stay safe & take care of each other!
    JMP17 KMG365

Thread Information