Thread: Unit #'s

oldE6man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Regarding the 10-codes vs. plain English (and numbering as well):

Unless there is a regional standard, there is a significant likelihood of problems during mutual aid events. If you, like us, only use mutual aid during greater alarm emergencies, that is not the time for radio confusion! You will have enough alligators chomping at your butt without having that additional headache.

For that reason, I think plain English provides the least chance for misinterpretation during emergency events.

[This message has been edited by oldE6man (edited 02-27-2001).]

fire boy 038
    Firehouse.com Guest

TOM
    KINGSBURY HOSE CO.#1

OUR COUNTY #'S ARE 38
    CHIEF IS CAR 38
    1ST ASSISTANT IS CAR 3801
    2ND IS 3802
    3RD IS 3803
    4TH IS 3804
    OUR ENGINE IS 381
    ETA382
    ETA383
    TANKER384
    ETA 385
    TANKER 386

TOM
    KINGSBURY NEW YORK

One13Truck
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

As I've said, codes work great for us... But what works good one place is a disaster for other places. Our County does all use the same code system though (okay Wilkes Barre City uses a code for in quarters nobody else uses but very rarely is mutual aid needed/provided by them) so they have a universal County-wide meaning to them. Makes for a lot less radio traffic.

------------------
    Edwardsville Emergency Services, Station 10
    We came, we saw, WE KICKED IT'S *****!!!

[This message has been edited by One13Truck (edited 03-20-2001).]

E11Hooligan
    Firehouse.com Guest

The County I work for uses a numbering system I believe works pretty well.
    The Chief and asst. have the letter C before their number for ex. Chief 2 is the assistant chief.
    The Battalion Chiefs have a B
    Training Officers have a T
    Captains, Lt.s, FF/Medics, and FF/EMTs use F
    In regards to Apparatus numbering the first number or first two numbers are the station number than the last number designates what apparatus it is.
    1-First out Engine
    2-Second out Engine
    3-Third out or Reserve Engine
    4-Aerial or Platform Ladder Truck
    5-Tanker
    6-service unit
    7-Squad, Rescue, or Air truck
    8-service unit, boat
    For ex. Ladder 14 is station 1's ladder truck

Superfireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We have a County wide numbering system here in Camden County, NJ; it's not to complicated: Every township, city, or boro has a number. The station(s) are the next number in the sequence, and the type of apparatus is the final number. ie my home town Pennsauken is district 11. There are six stations, one EMS station, and the Fire Prevention Office which houses the fire inspectors and the fire official. Their #'s are...
    11-1 ;Sta#1(pronounced; eleven one)
    11-2 ;Sta#2
    11-3 ;Sta#3
    11-4 ;Sta#4
    11-5 ;Sta#5---my station
    11-6 ;Sta#6
    11-7 ;EMS (not part of the FD)
    11-8 ;Fire Prevention Office
    The apparatus are the same county wide: All the 1's are Engines, 2's are Engines, 3's are brush trucks or rescue pumpers, 4's are ariels, 5's are rescues, 6's are utility's and brush trucks, 7's are nothing, 8's and 9's are utility's. My station is 11-5, our units are engine 1151(pronounced eleven fifty one), engine 1152, brush 1153, and utility 1156. The officers would be the same county wide also. For my station they are Chief 11501(pronounced eleven five o'one)
    1st Deputy 11502
    2nd Deputy 11503
    1st Captain 11504
    2nd Captain 11505
    1st Lieutenant 11506
    2nd Lieutenant 11507
    3rd Lieutenant 11508
    Safety Officer 11509
    The IC is always 1150(pronounced eleven fifty) if the job is in our local. If is in Sta#4's local the IC would be 1140(pronounced eleven forty) no matter who that person is chief or firefighter if they are in charge they use the IC number! All this is true for the entire county, just different numbers for different towns. The only exception would be The City of Camden which uses its own system. I hope that makes sense?!

------------------
    Dan Kerr Jr.
    Firefighter/EMT
    Pennsauken Fire Dept. Sta.#5
    "Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff, and keepin it safe"

timm6685
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in Jefferson co. MO ours is simple each Department is given a designation # ours is 6600 then the trucks are numbered as follows.
    6600 is the chief
    6601 & 2 are the asst. chiefs
    03 & 04 deputy chiefs
    05-09 capt. or lt.
    6610-11 pumper
    12 ladder truck
    13 tanker
    14 rescue or squad
    15 rescue/ladder combination
    16 air cascade
    anything with a 7 as the last is an ambulance they run separate from the fire here
    18-19 utility vehicle
    amd if you have more than one house you change the number to 6620 and so no

------------------

Murray_Co_ff213
    Firehouse.com Guest

we have a 4 didget system in our area. we have 3 depatments Chatsworth city, Eton city, and Murray co. the first number Identifies what department
    Chatsworth= 1
    Eton= 2
    Murray= 3

The second is our station bolth cities just have 1 station each so they are allways 1. (11xx,21xx) we in the county have 7 stations so ours go (31xx,32xx,33xx and so on)

then the personel number are the next 2
    01 being capt
    02,03 lt's
    and 04,05,06,07 are suposed to be engineers but that lasted 6 months

so 1101 is capt of chatsworth
    and 3213 my number means I am from station 2 in the county.

apperratus is the same for eton and chatsworth the last 2 numbers are their ID's engines xx31 primary,and xx32 for reserve
    ladders xx51
    tankers xx41
    so 1131 is chatsworth's primary eng and 1151 is their ladder

in the county we don't have reserve apperatus at each station ours have their own stations for the day when we can fully man them so each station has 1 eng and 1 tanker and they are named after the station
    eng1 tanker2
    I almost forgot our cheifs all use the same call type CF1,2,3 EF1,2,3, and FC for the county
    Now that I've wrote all this out I think it is very confusing an I don't know how I ever rememberd this crap.

------------------
    Derek

[This message has been edited by Murray_Co_ff213 (edited 03-30-2001).]

Murray_Co_ff213
    Firehouse.com Guest

As for the code vs english I can tell you that as a dispatcher and a vol ff I belive code is better providing every one knows it. some times code is a pain if you are dealing with newbees either with 911 or fd so english has it's benifits but if everyone is trained up properly than code s the way to go.

IMHO

------------------
    Derek

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are on the out skirts of a paid dept. Their Engines, Squads, Aerial so forth are "100" series apparatus.

We being so close to the city district adopted the "200" series.
    E-234
    E-232
    Tanker 241
    Tanker 242
    Rescue 261
    Grass/cascade 225
    Personnel 269
    Station- 200
    Chief-201
    A.C. 202
    Cpt. 203
    Lt/Safety Officer 204

We don't use unit numbers when we are in a mutual aid situation (not thiers anyway) because we have such a varying system. For example a town 15 miles away is a 500 series, another one, is a County 200 series, so we avoid trying to guess who the hell we are calling and just try "plain english" when calling them on their approach so as to avoid lost time by them not realizing we are calling them because we don't know what apparatus is en-route.

------------------
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT
    Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
    Fremont Rural Fire Department

Chiefkeo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our county # is 13. All fire departments are in the 70 series, us being 71. Our call sing is 1371. Chiefs are all 01, ie 7101. Trucks are numbered in the 10 series. 7111, 7112,7113,7114, etc. System is simple and works well for us. Is easy to identify the Chief when ever you hear 0-1.

------------------
    I shall fear no evil, for I am a Firefighter

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Massachusettes, well, Berkshire County anyways, each station is numbered privately.
    In Egremont (my dept) for example, we run Engine 1, Engine 2, etc... We have 2 stations. In station 1 the units are odd number and station 2, it's even numbers. in Station 1 is Egnine 1 and Tanker 5. Station 2 is Engine 2, Engine 4, and Rescue 8 (don't ask me what happened to #'s 3 and 6) as for officers and FF #'s, it's done the same way..odds station 1 evens station 2.
    Firefighter-EMTs run with 3 digit #'s
    Chief-Car 2 (station 2)
    Asst Chief-car 5 (station 1-kept his previous Lt #)
    Capt 1- Car 7 (station 1)
    Capt 2- 735(Captain-EMT Station 2)
    Lt 1- Car 3 (station 1-took over ex assist chief's #)
    Lt 2- Car 6 (station 2)
    Medical Lt- Car 10
    Asst medical Lt. 841(station 1)

CoreySwanson
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our county, all 43 volunteer departments are divided into 4 battalions according to geographic location; 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Then the departments within each battallion are numbered according to where the department name falls alphabetically.
    Example :
    Kennedy Fire Department is in the 4th battallion, 7th company alphabetically in the battallion, then unit # 1,2,3,etc...
    Chief : Car 471
    1st Asst Chief : Car 472
    2nd Asst Chief : Car 473
    Engines : 471,472,473
    Rescue : 471

FF_ONG
    Firehouse.com Guest

we are CCFD#1...so our units are designated as E1-1, E1-2, S1-1, S1-2, WT1-1 or TE1-1 depends on who is dispatching, WT1-2, WT1-3, and then RE1-1 for our rehab. our medic units come from 4. so they are M4-1, or M4-1-1, or M4-2 and they have a ladder truck which is T4-1. The rescue for our mutual aid district, which is 9, is R9-1. so we are fortunate i guess in that we have one digit departments and easy designators.

FF ong
    Stay safe out there!

jesse_the_kid
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use a area wide system where each dept. has its own #... my station is 1701, we have a 1702 for our second station. the units are then designated as flows.

10's=chief
    20's=pumpers
    30's=tankers
    40's=light brush
    50's=heavy brush
    60's=arials
    70's=resque/medic
    80's=hevy resque
    90's=chief's truck

------------------
    Jesse
    Be safe and come back to fight again!!!!

MusterGod
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

station two, engine two, ladder two, car three, dont know where the three came from, seems a little out of place. but its the captains car so i cant argue. all the rest of our units corospond with the station number.

------------------

Tillerman-6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Chemung County NY...
    First unit no. (1-23) is Department listed mostly alphabetical.
    Second is unit type (0-9).
    0= Chiefs
    1= Jr. officers
    2= pumpers bellow 1200gpm
    3= pumpers over 1250gpm
    4= aerials
    5= platform aerials
    6= tanker/tender
    7= utility (brush etc.)
    8= rescue/ems
    9= misc./base units
    Third is unit no. in that department (never seen one higher than 4)

So for example...West Hill's second engine is 2032 (Department #20, Engine=3, second out)
    or Elmira's tower ladder is 641 (dept. #6, ladder=4, first out)

And as for radio freq. the whole county is on the same five chanels (accept for Elmira all career dept.) so they are just numbered in order.

------------------
    "Back off man... I'm a Scientist."

Thread Information