1. #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Question Rural Water Supplies

    Does anyone have any ideas on how a person could get a rural community to force new subdivisions to install a full fledged hydrant system?


  2. #2
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Can the local municipality pass an ordinance requiring this-I have seen this done in some areas.

  3. #3
    Big T
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Hello Thomas
    You would have to go to the town council that the subdivision are being anexxed into.. They would have to pass a resolution to add it to the new building codes. Then it is required for them to do it.. Any thing in the past would be after the fact... I agree it would be a good thing..
    Most developers don't want the added expense.. Plus a big old fire hydrant in front of a 175,000 dollar house is not a good selling point...
    Allot of the subdivision around here have a big pond in the middle of them.. We put in a dry hydrant so we can use them in case of a fire..
    I'm talking small community here (1500 people) If you have a bigger population then its the city council you have to go to.. We are still a town..

  4. #4
    Firehouse.com Guest



    I don't think the municipality here has that authority-however I am compelled to check it out.
    Thanks ns..


    Yes I agree that a fire hydrant is not a great selling point, but I don't know that it is a deterrent either. With all the focus and hooplah about ISO, I was thinking that a hydrant system would be the way to go. Especially in a rural community. We do have several dry hydrants in our area, but not nearly enough.

    The reason I was asking is I know of some rural communities that have very strict building codes that are enforced. One example is a new mobile home can't be purchased without a sprinkler system installed. This also goes for any new site built homes. This helps the department and the community out significsntly with there ISO grade.

  5. #5
    S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest


    Hood County is putting a subdivision ordinance in effect that essentially requires a subdivision to put in hydrants if they put in a water system.

    Some things depend on the population of your county or adjacent county(s).

    What county are you in?

    [This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited August 06, 2000).]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register