Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Thomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Rural Water Supplies

Does anyone have any ideas on how a person could get a rural community to force new subdivisions to install a full fledged hydrant system?

------------------

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Can the local municipality pass an ordinance requiring this-I have seen this done in some areas.

Big T
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Thomas
    You would have to go to the town council that the subdivision are being anexxed into.. They would have to pass a resolution to add it to the new building codes. Then it is required for them to do it.. Any thing in the past would be after the fact... I agree it would be a good thing..
    Most developers don't want the added expense.. Plus a big old fire hydrant in front of a 175,000 dollar house is not a good selling point...
    Allot of the subdivision around here have a big pond in the middle of them.. We put in a dry hydrant so we can use them in case of a fire..
    I'm talking small community here (1500 people) If you have a bigger population then its the city council you have to go to.. We are still a town..

Thomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

nsfirechap,

I don't think the municipality here has that authority-however I am compelled to check it out.
    Thanks ns..

BigT,

Yes I agree that a fire hydrant is not a great selling point, but I don't know that it is a deterrent either. With all the focus and hooplah about ISO, I was thinking that a hydrant system would be the way to go. Especially in a rural community. We do have several dry hydrants in our area, but not nearly enough.

The reason I was asking is I know of some rural communities that have very strict building codes that are enforced. One example is a new mobile home can't be purchased without a sprinkler system installed. This also goes for any new site built homes. This helps the department and the community out significsntly with there ISO grade.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hood County is putting a subdivision ordinance in effect that essentially requires a subdivision to put in hydrants if they put in a water system.

Some things depend on the population of your county or adjacent county(s).

What county are you in?

[This message has been edited by S. Cook (edited August 06, 2000).]

Thread Information