Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking New Training Ideas

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a full time EMS worker for the county EMS system and a part-time and volunteer firefighter. I am a Captain and the training officer for our department. I have been in the fire service for 6 years. I am also a Fire and Rescue instructor. I am constantly finding ways to challenge our members in training, whether it be in a rescue rigging class or doing a burn exercise.
    If anyone has any different training methods that help motivate people to show up to classes, please let me know. We have a problem with several members not coming to classes then wondering why they are place on probation for not having the proper amount of training. We have only about 10 "active" members who essentially do all the work, and the rest are just along for the recognition of being in the fire department when things go well.

I have some different ideas for training that I am willing to share. If you would like to trade "secrets" for training, let me know.

[This message has been edited by benford1 (edited August 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by benford1 (edited September 01, 2000).]

tvp
    Firehouse.com Guest

I, also am a Captain and training officer of our department. We have 25 members of which about 20 are active. I could use all the help I can get in putting together a training schedule.

Our department is volunteer/part paid (we are paid $8/hr for training) MY training budget is about $2000/year to cover the costs of bringing in instructors and covering the costs of incidentals used in training.

firebox1
    Firehouse.com Guest

maybe we can share some of our idea's b/c I have been having problems with training I have some idea's that have worked but some have not. if I come across any new idea's I will let you know and I hope you can do the same. thanks fcantu@journey.com

------------------

BPDenny
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Re. Training
    Keeping training interesting is always difficult. One thing that worked for us in the area of extrication was to enter a Regional Competition.
    We mixed the team with new and veteren members. The challege of the competition motivated the members to try new things. With the help of a local scrap yard we set up mock scenes. The members were able to develop thier skills and enjoyed the team spirit of preparing for the competition.
    As a side benefit the team won the competition, and our department received a lot of good PR in our community,as well as new complete set of rescue tools from TNT.
    That was 3 years ago and the team is still making regular trips to the scrap yard and trying new things.

B.P.Denny

[This message has been edited by BPDenny (edited August 13, 2000).]

MAN27
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Try setting up mock single and several 10-84 (car accident with injuries). Make every known hazard become available such as a worried and concerned mother trying to get her child out while you are doing the extrication! Or a drunk driver giving the rescuers a hard time in the middle of the inner circle. If you really want to get brave you can set a small fire out of the way of the victim(s) in the car **BE SURE NOT TO HAVE ANYONE ALIVE IN THE VEHICLE** perhaps a training dummy would do the trick! If you want more don't be hesitant to ask!

------------------
    ALWAYS WEAR YOUR FULL GEAR NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF CALL IT IS!

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Just an update:

I have been talking with the Department of Transportation and a contractor about a stretch of highway projectin our district. The initial intent was to get a section of guardrail when they take it out. The contractor is willing to donate a 25' section with enough posts to the department. We will use this to give the added realism to our training for MVA's (motor vehicle accidents). we even have a ditch line beside our parking area to place the rail next to. Just like in real life! You will find the contractors like to stay on the good side of the emergency services. If you are interested in doing this, contact the local office of your highway department and they can put you on the right path.

Stay safe. Train Like you work. Never say impossible!

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Go to the Firehouse.com forum under meet and greet and check out the update I just posted.

Shoeless
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Capt. is also an Asst. Chief for a department that is F/T & Volunteer. They give away door prizes to attract members. I don't know how big your dept. is but, doing some down FF rescues is always good. I have some info on it if you would like. The only problem is that it requires several instructors.

Shoeless

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I have tried to get some of our guys motivated to do some down FF drills. A few have expressd interes, but the older guys always ask "What do we need that for?" Until we had a major church fire last year, we didn't. But if something had went wrong, then I was the only one with the training to figure out how to get a guy out. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Keep Training!

gandalf49
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

As the training officer of our department, I know how hard it is to get people to train. The State Fire Marshal's Office in New Mexico has a new plan to see that everybody who wants to be a firefighter has to meet certain qualifications. They have a position task book that everybody who wants to be firefighter has to complete in 2 years time. The task book is patterned after the task book that the Federal Government uses to test people trying to become members of the wildland fire service, also to be a qualified wildland firefighter in the state of New Mexico, you must complete the federal task book for firefighter2. So it becomes necessary to attend training to get yourself qualified and then you have to prove that you are still qualified once you get your red card or your fire card..

------------------
    gandalf49

benford1
    Firehouse.com Guest

In North Carolina, we do not have any set standard for firefighters. Across the state their are thousands of Certified firefighters, but it is all ona voluntary basis, unless you are a career firefighter and that department makes it job requirement. NC is an IFSAC state with our certification program, bu tnot everyone has to be a "certified" firefighter to belong to a department. Only certain topics are required before fighting fire. And then again, these topics can be taught in-house with no certifed instructors leading the session. The only thing NC requires per year is that each member get 36 hours of training per year. And 12 hours of that can be medical training.

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

There are some great free resources out there through USFA, FEMA and VFIS. I can especially recommend their driver training course. I don't like advertising for something that will cost you - but Fire Protection Publications puts out a good resource "The Sourcebook for Fire Company Training Evolutions". It has some "fun" type activities included. Fire Prevention training is great from State Farm and Allstate Ins. at no cost. The Propane Council puts out a great course on propane emergencies. Variety is the spice of life!! Our firefighters don't get paid a cent, but they keep coming back!! I'd appreciate hearing of any additional resources!!

Thread Information