Danny Beebe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb information needed FAST

Please help me. I need information on when to sound your severe weather warning systems. My community is having a meeting tonight at 6:30 pm to start the discussion on this problem. Do we sound it when weather is threating, When a funnel cloud is spotted (we live in the Ozark mountains and rarely see them until they are on us) or when the weather radar systems issue a warning for oue area.

Lets see how fast this forum can help. I will be waiting.

------------------

Dr. Law
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We sound the sirens when we see a tornado, or when we hear one, or when the weather service radar says one is nearby.

Firefighter2000
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Sorry i know this is late but late is better than never. We sound our alarm when ever their is a serious threat to a person or their property

Big T
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our county sever weather is all run through the central dispatch center... They have a weather dish for the dispatcher to watch . And the national weather service sends them advisorys... When they get the alert, The dispatcher puts the fire departments on weather watch... The sirens are set off when the Fire Dept. get called out... They help the dispatcher monitor the in coming weather... If a tornado is spotted they set off the sirens again and advise all the villages in the path of the tornado...

firebox1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a weather warning system that we use to warn the community that sever weahter is approaching and that they should be prepared for it. And when the weahter is cleared we will let them know that it is all cear over the same warning sirens

------------------

Danny Beebe
    Firehouse.com Guest

The meeting is over and we were impressed with your responses. However we are going to wait about another month to set the final policy so keep the information coming.THANKS

------------------

DFDRev
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our area just recently changed it's protocol for sounding the weather siren. Over the past couple of years parts of the Detroit area have suffered extensive dammage from straight-line winds during storms. Since no tornado activity was involved, warnings were not given to the danger of the winds.

This spring, however, it was decided that that the sirens would be sounded during storms that produced sustained high winds (I'm sorry, I don't remember what MPH is stated in the protocol).

This change has been priased by the community and the two times the sirens sounded this summer saved lives.

Hope this helps...

wsfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

our siren is hooked up to a master control at the county dispatch center, if the nws detects severe weather they will get in touch with the center and set off the sirens for the repective towns that will be in harms way, we also set ours off at 6:00 every night , just to make sure it does work when we need it. steve craig ff,wsfd

smokeyben1
    Firehouse.com Guest

G'day Danny, sorry about the very late reply but down-under we have a system in place where the weather bureau sends out an alert and an emergency signal or tone is sounded through phones, over commercial radio, over television and this signal over-rides the carrier it is sent through. I'm not sure wether this is a national preparation or just in my state. Regards Smokey.

Thread Information