Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Capt.GPR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Best person for the job?

Why are there so many cliques in fire departments? When choosing line officers, the best qualified person does not always win because members vote for their friends. In the end, the department suffers because its officers are not the best they could be. This has been a problem in my department and I was just wondering how widespread it really is.

Fyrball105
    Firehouse.com Guest

i'll 2nd that!!! same here, why we say " firefighters are rulers of the fire ground." It makes little sence to me to have more qualified firefighters than officers.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

A long time ago (in my volunteer department)we had the same method of finding the officers. Then reality happened we came to our senses and started to conduct testing at all levels of the officer ranks. Thanks to a new chief from the real world.

Today if you think you want the job then take the testing process: LT, Capt, BC, and up. Study material, Written test, training problem, oral board, and chief interview.

It will only make you a better FF and isn't that waht YOU want!

Don

------------------

Big T
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I know your PAIN.. Our election is pure who you know... Not who's the best person for the job....... Your not alone buy a long way.....

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

With the exception of the Chief, which is an elected position by the towns people, all of the officers are appointed by the Chief. We also have three crew chief positions which are appointed as well. When a jr. officer or crew chief position opens up, the Chief will make an announcement and will request that all interested persons sign up for it. They are then put through a lengthy testing and interview process. I know of several departments that still elect their officers and are hurting because of it.

Take care, stay safe & stay low.

Lt. Spinney

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll agree! My dept. feels the need to fill all the spots -- that's 5 captains, 10 Lt's, 5 chief drviers and 4 chiefs (1 chief and 3 ***'ts). We have 3 engine companies, a truck company and 1 fire police company all under one station roof. Now, we have maybe 1 full-blown structure fire a year and no ambulance to worry about medical runs, get the picture? That's what happens with "tradition", the dept. has been around since 1887 -- who would dare change?

firefighter812
    Firehouse.com Guest

BROTHER I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE AS WELL. IN MY DEPARTMENT WHEN WE WERE A VOLUNTEER SYSTEM WE HAD TO VOTE FOR OUR LINE OFFICERS TOO AND WHEN THE ELECTIONS WERE DONE WITH I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED IN WHO OUR LINE OFFICERS WERE. I BELIEVE THAT LINE OFFICERS SHOULD BE VOTED UPON WHAT THEY KNOW AND CAN YOU TRUST THEM ENOUGH THAT WHEN WE GET TO A SCENE, HE IS ABLE TO HANDLE SUCH GREAT RESPONSIBLITIES. I HAVE ONCE PLACED A LT. IN HIS PLACE DURING A STRUCTURE FIRE, WE WERE INSIDE AND HE BEGAN DOING THINGS OUT OF THE NORMAL WAYS OF HOW AND WHEN TO ATTACK THE FIRE. I WAS IN SHOCK BY WHAT I WAS SEEING HIM DO AND WAS BASICALLY ****ED OFF CAUSE HE COULD HAVE KILLED ABOUT 5 OF US ALONG WITH HIS STUPIDITY WAYS. WHEN WE WENT OUTSIDE, I REFUSED TO RETURN BACK INSIDE WITH THAT SAME PERSON. THIS NEARLY GETTING MY BUTT CHEWED OUT BY OTHER LINE OFFICERS CAUSE THEY FEEL I HAVE TO RESPECT THOSE IN THE CHAIN. I SAY THAT IF THAT PERSON CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH LIFE IN AN EMERGENCY ISSUE THEN HOW CAN YOU TRUST THAT SAME WITH YOUR LIFE? PICKING YOUR FRIENDS TO BE LINE OFFICERS IS JUST BEING NIEVE ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOU THINK THIS PERSON WILL BE EASY ON YOU FOR A YEAR AND HE'LL RETURN THE FAVOR WHEN YOU RUN FOR OFFICER THE NEXT TIME AROUND. IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS WAY AND PEOPLE SHOULD CHOOSE THERE OFFICERS VERY CAREFULLY.

Thread Information