Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: HELLO ALL...

firefighter812
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post HELLO ALL...

HI FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS FROM THE FIRE SERVICE, I'M A 31 YR OLD MALE FIREFIGHTER FROM NEW JERSEY. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRE SERVICE FOR 5 YEARS NOW, THE FIRST 4 WERE VOLUNTEERING FOR MY TOWNSHIP UNTIL LAST DECEMBER 1999 WHEN MY FIRE COMPANY WAS FORCED TO STAFF THE FIRE DEPARTMENT WITH 8 FULL TIME AND 24 PART TIME EMPLOYEE'S. I WAS MARRIED INTO THE PART TIME JOB AND STILL I VOLUNTEER WITH THE SAME COMPANY WHEN THEY FALL INTO THE MANPOWER AREA. WE HAVE THREE DISTRICTS HERE WHERE I LIVE. EACH DISRTICT HAS FULL TIME EMPLOYEE'S ON DUTY. DIST.#1 HAS TWO FULL TIMERS THAT COME ON FROM 8AM TO 4PM MONDAY THRU FRIDAY, DIST.#2 HAS 4 THAT COME ON FROM 8AM TO 4PM MONDAY THRU FRIDAY AND THEN THERE IS MINE DIST.#3 IN WHICH WE HAVE 24 HR COVERAGE. 8 FULL TIMERS THAT COME IN FROM 6AM TO 10PM MONDAY THRU FRIDAY THESE 8 PERSONNEL ROTATE THERE SHIFT WEEKLY. FROM 10PM TILL 6AM MONDAY THRU FRIDAY, THE PART TIME EMPLOYEE'S MAN THE STATION. THE PART TIMERS COVER WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. WE RUN ABOUT 400 ALARMS PER YEAR AND HAVE BEEN GRADUALLY INCREASING IN NUMBER OF CALLS PER YEAR IN THE PAST TWO TO THREE YEARS NOW. I REMEMBER WHEN I FIRST JOINED AS A VOLUNTEER, WE WERE ONLY GETTING ABOUT 250 PER YEAR. BUT, AS OF LATE, THE TOWNSHIP HAS BEEN EXPANDING. MORE UNITS HAVE BEEN UNDER CONSTRUCTION AQND WE WILL BE EXPACTING SOMEWHERE AROUND 850 NEWS HOMES BUILT WITHIN THE NEXT 5 YEARS, MAYBE MORE. WELL, THATS ALL I REALLY HAVE TO TALK ABOUT. I HOPE I DID NOT BORE ANYONE IN TELLING THEM HOW WE HERE WHERE I LIVE. I HOPE THE BEST FOR EVERYONE OUT THEIR. STAY SAFE AND BE CAREFULL OUT THEIR. BYE FOR NOW!!

DRA-252
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello, welcome to the boards. I'm a vollie from NYS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your surfin' here!

jalbritt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome FF-812 Interesting work schedule you have. When I first started in 1970 we worked day shifts and volunteers covered at nite. We were required to be volunteers also. As the area grew and expanded and with the fair labor standards requirements we have now evolved into over 400 paid staff with still 100 volunteers. Stick with it. JHA

Thread Information