Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Ratman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Ideas for new station

Looking for some ideas guys. We are currently planning construction on our new fire station. It will have 3 bays and for now only a pumper and a tanker will be stationed there. Just looking for different ideas and items that you find usefull at your halls.
    Thanks, RATMAN
    stay safe

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tons and tons of ideas on this end...But the ones that first come to mind are:

-Overhead water fill system for each bay.
    -Automatic garage door closers for each apparatus so they can close doors after they are clear of the bays/open them when they return.
    -Lots of storage space for hose, spare air packs, etc.
    -Exhaust system that you can plug each vehicle into so you don't fill the bays with exhaust fumes.
    -Don't skimp on the HVAC system (Heating,Ventilation, and Air Conditioning).
    -Sound proof offices and bunkrooms (if applicable.)
    -Lots of bathroom space(including showers.
    -Well stocked candy machine(not essential but it sure helps)!!!!!!!!

Best to ya.....

Jeff

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Volunteer or Career????? Either way, make sure you have a great kitchen area. Our main regret on our 10-yr-old bldg. is that we didn't make the meeting room larger - and, it would have been Great to have had a blank wall available to use Overheads, etc. in training sessions!

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

My suggestion. Tall doors and cellings in the station. It is a pain to craw ontop of the trucks with a low celling. Build the station for the future. Rember, you will have this place for a long time and you are stuck with it.

Ratman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for your ideas. Just wanted to let you know that we are a volunteer dept. There is also plans for putting the public health nurse and Emergency management offices in the station. Can't say I like the idea. Does anybody share their hall with others and how does it workout?

Thanks Rob

sponge
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can't help with the sharing issue, I never had to deal with it.
    Some more ideas would be to have a comfortable company room. A couple nice couches plus cable TV equals more guys hanging out and getting the rigs out faster. Also, you might want to look at the possibility of setting your meeting room up so that it can be rented out for parties, weddings, etc. This is always good when the budget's a little skimpy. Finally, I'd put your supply room away from the officer's office. That way people aren't hanging around the office trying to get someone to give them a new helmet sticker or something while the chief's trying to get work done.

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

My suggestions would be:
    1. Radiant heating system in the bay floor instead of forced air ventilation to reduce utility costs.
    2. Make the meeting room so that it can be seperated from the rest of the building if you are able to rent it out.
    3. Put the meeting room in between the bays and any other tenants to help reduce possible traffic in the area around the bays (both inside and outside the building)
    4. Use as much natural lighting as is feasible/available to help reduce utility costs.
    5. Face the bays toward the southwest if possible and build into a hillside if available to help reduce utility costs. (If it sounds like I'm on a kick to reduce utility costs, I am, they take away about 50% of my vol. dept. budget and that reduces our capability quite a bit.

------------------
    The few, the proud, the insane- Volunteer Firefighters

FireEmsJunkie
    Firehouse.com Guest

As mentioned go with the radiant heated floors not only do they save $ but it makes the truck bay safer. It dries the floor much faster and will melt the ice and snow. We have it in our new ambulance bay and it works well.

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with everyones suggestions. Here's my own to add:

1. Look at making the meeting/training into two smaller ones if needed. This can be done with the the walls that fold up into the exsisting wall. Similiar to what they use in banquet halls. This is nice if you have to run to smaller classes.

2. Back-up generator. Get it as big as you can afford.

3.Add numerous phone and cable lines in the station. With the use of computers, fax machines, internet, etc. Plus having more then one phone line is nice. Put a phone or two in the truck bays.

4.Have the capabiltiy to go 24 hour staffing at anytime. Meaning sleeping, cooking, bathroom. if you are going to have 24 hour staffing now or in the future, set the station up to where the living quarters are in a different part of the station, away from "community used" rooms.

5. Incorperate a training/hose tower.

6. Add air and power hook-ups in the ceiling for supplying trucks when in the bays. This way it's easy to hook into when needed.

7. Have a foyer/public entrance area. This way you can control the movement of the public throughout the station.

8. Have a backup dipatch/communication area. Helpful for when your main dispatch is down or during severe weather.

9. If chief officers will be working out of this station, give them a small meeting room off of there office. This helpful for officer meeting, interviews, etc.

10.Get input from the public as far as What it looks like. Not sure if you'll have to "hide" the station in the proposed area it will serve.

11. Do a search on the internet for fire station conctruction. You might even find some drawings for reference.

Hope this helps out.

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

We recently built a station and love it... wish it had the following though...
    - Mop Closet
    - More Storage
    - Bigger Hose Closet
    - Infectious Control Room

------------------
    Fight Fire Agressivly but Provide for Safety First!

Be Safe!

NCFiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you plan on putting in a compressor to fill SCBA's, make sure it is away from spaces you want peace of mind in. IE Sleeping quarters, office space and day room. Our Dept learned this the hard way. Also... Sound proofing doesn't really work with a compressor.
    Agree with everything stated before. Have to restate one comment though. Build for the future. Do NOT fill the station on the day you move in. Plan on room to grow. Thats my .02 cents worth

------------------
    Running a code is easy.
    The hard part starts when you bringem back and have a 30-40 min transport

Danny Beebe
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of these suggestion are great . One thing that I would like to suggest is to make sure that the doors are tall( someone has already mentioned this ) and that they are wide. At least 12 feet or more. Trucks are getting bigger. It may also be a good ideal to install stops of somekind to prevent someone from backing up to far and hitting the back wall.GOOD LUCK

------------------

kmnader
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to agree with everyone else, make sure you have a good kitchen area. Also make sure you have adequate electrical generator system for you station. A generator is a very important decision so make sure you have the experts look into this for you. DON'T GO CHEAP ON A GENERATOR and make sure you get one strong enough to power your bay doors.

Kris

comwhite
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have just built a new station, not yet moved in, which we will share with law enforcement and dept of forestry (one office each). A volunteer station with the capabilities of 24 hour staffing and the ability to be built on to if needed in the future. In designing we tried to keep in mind separation of sleeping quarters and offices, but keeping open as much of the rest as possible for hosting training classes, banquets, etc. The kitchen and dining area are separated only by a long serving bar, and the dining and training room can be opened for a large gathering . Being a woman, bathrooms were pretty important to me, so we have one bathroom that opens from the lea office adjoing a public bathroom, then we have the firefighters bathrooms with large showers in the sleeping quarters. Be sure to get a womans input when you design, they see things such as storage, bathrooms, and kitchens a little different than men.

Thread Information