duerr2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question too much information!

I'm a female firefighter trying to get the knowledge that I feel I need to succeed in this field and am beginning to wonder if I have too much information...The department where I live is mostly male and I currently have more training time than any of them did prior to their approval for this volunteer organization...but I still am being denied an opportunity to serve my community. I'm testing for firefighterII and instructorI in 3 weeks and strongly feel that the education I have will help me fulfill a calling...I know what I'm doing , I just want a chance to spread my wings...

[This message has been edited by duerr2 (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by duerr2 (edited 11-29-2000).]

niccolec
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel for you. I was the only female in the academy and one of the instructors liked to refer to me as "the secretary" even though I was pulling my own weight. I think some men with the old school mentality are just afraid of what we can do. I wish you the best and you will make it.

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Yeah, I can relate, too! I have been a FF for almost 10 years. I have 2 BS degrees in Fire Science and a decent amount of County training and yet I don't know anything and should keep my ideas (AKA attitude) under wraps. Prior to my County's recent FF 1 requirements, I was the first FF in my dept. to be certified FF 1, as well, thanks to going to school in Connecticut.
    So, at this time I am again on school leave (allows me to not make my point quota for a year) as I finish my MA in poli sci so that I don't have to deal with them!

Fireplug99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hang in there, ladies. Not all of us guys are like that. It seems you may be scaring some of them because you know more than them. That is their problem. They have the same access to training that you do. I wish you the best of luck in your fire service endeavors.

Fireplug99
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hang in there, ladies. Not all of us guys are like that. It seems you may be scaring some of them because you know more than them. That is their problem. They have the same access to training that you do. I wish you the best of luck in your fire service endeavors.

Thread Information