Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile Why do you hate Emergency One's ???

Unlike that Bomberodave I am all for E-ones, I don't know about them but in our city we have a wilderness park and Boy Scout camp. We have had several runs to those areas, The rodes are narrow and windy with small turning radious, Seagraves of Pierces would get stuck, We contacted E-one they custom built or Engine's so that they can still respond to calls in the city and be able to get up in the hills. E-ones are lights some our streets don't allow trucks over a certain amount of tons, So what do we will do give we have a fire on a street that has a ton limit and our Firetruck is to heavy? So please post your reason why you want to use Pirece or Seagraves. Don't be badnwagaon and say E-ones are crduy because there aluminum give me the real reason you hate E-Ones

------------------
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com
    Engine 101

firecap4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Tim, I'm with you: I like my E-One. Bomberodave has mentioned leaks, electrical problems, etc. with E-Ones, but in my 16 years in the service, I haven't seen ANY make that didn't have these problems at one time or another. For the record: the E-One I ride is a '98 and the only problem we have had with it is a malfunctioning cab lift servo(outside vendor part), and a fried ignition computer caused by a lightning strike(!) while on an ADT alarm call in a thunderstorm.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Hate is an awful strong word! Dislike is more suitable. The reason I prefer the Pierce is the workmanship and service. Take for instance; when we recieved out 1991 Pierce Dash a fellow department took delivery of a 1991 E-One 100' Platform. We had our engine in service the day it was brought to the firehouse. The E-One had to have 6 visits from the factory people to bring it up to speed. It wouldn't pass the pump test at our 1200' altitude. Another way to tell workmanship is to look at a Pierce and you won't see any seems in the diamond plate. They use solid sheets. That makes it look a whole lot better!
    If I couldn't have a Pierce I would go to the ALF.

*Just my thoughts, you asked for them!

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

pipemen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hay Mark,

We have a 100% fleet of E-1s 3 pumpers and abrush truck. oldest is a 1977 and the brush truck is a 1980. a few things I would like to point out to you. 1st: the advantage of having aalumanum truck is you can put more weight in it. we have a eng with a 1400 gallon water tank. sogle axle and lts of equipment. 2nd the seam you talk about is because the body of E-Ones is compartmentized, we had a car run into the back corner of our eng, and they only had to replace the compartment area and back/side runing boards. how would a steel body be like??? Have a great day.
    Tim

------------------
    SEE YA AT THE BIG ONE

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In fact E-ones due last a long time we had a 1977 E-one whihc was a reserve rig, When we were waiting for our new USAR TRuck to be derliverd we put it in service it ran like a charm, We retired it in May. ALF's are good we had an old laf aRIAL WE GOT RID OF THAT tWO yEARS AOG DUE TO INCREASING MAITENCE COSTS. Our E-ones have 1500 GPM Pumps. THEY GET up those hills with no problems

------------------
    Tim Macias
    Engine 101

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The hills, we have mountains here! Some of our calls are gaining in altitude of 4000'. We have no problem with the Pierce taking the roads. We have triplet sister trucks. All are 1996 Pierce, Frieghtliner, 1250 gpm waterous pumps, with 1200 gallon poly tanks. Now I am not saying that you have to like Pierce, just that I like them! Everyone has thier own likes, Pierce is just mine. As far as how would the steel body be with a crash, may not have as much damage as the aluminum. But honestly, we have not been chalenged with that situation so I can not say how it would be.

*Remeber that you asked for opinions

Mark

------------------

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I like Pierces but not as Much as E-ones, Arcadia FD our neighboring city as two Pierces Engine's 105 and 107 they're not bad but not as rommy and as spacious as E-ones, If you have the April 2000 edtion of Firehouse Magizene look an Page 36 there is a pciture of my citys Engine Comoany 101 and Arcadia's E-105, Santa Anita Canyon Road is not as narrow as Sawpit Wash Road

Shoeless
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, we don't have the mountains to deal with, but we have hills. I am sure that you would laugh at us for even calling them hills. I can only speak for myself on the matter of my intense dislike for E-One. We have 13 of them. It seems as if the craftsmanship is poor, the elec. system doesn't work right, the A/C works fine for 1/2 a year (winter). You have to slam the doors to get them to latch, & the transmission is constantly slipping. That is a few things I notice wrong.

Shoeless

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G

------------------
    Joe
    Daysleeper47
    "When the bell goes ding-ding, its time to get on the woo-woo."
    "Dusting desire - starting to learn. Walking through fire with out a burn..."

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have always been raised by my parents to be judgemental-free...That is, don't believe the word of others until you get a grasp of the person/subject for yourself. I like to think that I have always been that way....BUT....when MANY people complain about something/someone.....you have to start listening!! Why do so many people bash E-One?? You dont see a fraction of the bashes on Pierce or Seagrave!! Why?? Is it maybe, possibly, that they build a quality, dependable product (out of steel) that they support with warranties and repair work....?? I have never heard of a Pierce that had to have an electrical problem repaired 6 times!! SIX TIMES!! (if I were the chief of that department, it wouldn't have to have been repaired after 3 times!!!) Yes it is true that Seagrave, Pierce...and everyone else for that matter has problems...but they get ironed out!! E-One has so many trucks in so many areas full of problems, that they just can't keep up with them!! Check the local E-One dealer in the Philadelphia area- his lot is always FULL of E-Wont's (waiting to get in the shop, because all the bays are full!!!) E-One needs to learn a few things, first and foremost: You can't build firetrucks in an assembly line fashion and not expect problems....And you can't tap aluminum and then expect it to last- any schmuck knows you can't hang a 20lb ABC on aluminum and then ride it around a metropolitan area!! And thats just observations I have about OTHER people's problems about E-One....I wont even get into the probs that MY dept has!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Said it before, saying it again...I would rather push a Pierce than drive an E-one!! (wont be able to drive it because the damn thing is at the motorpool.....like thats anything unusual!!!)

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think the thing that everyone is forgetting is that a Fire Truck is the sum of it's parts: we get engines from Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and Cummings, axles from Rockwell and Dana/Spicer, transmissions from Allison, cabs and chassis from both commercial and custom fabricators, and pumps from Hale, Waterous and Darley.

My department's fleet is mainly E-One.I know of Department's that have Pierce, Ferrara, KME, Central States or a variety of different manufacturers.

Anybody can get a lemon right out of the factory. The biggest problem is preventive maintenance! We buy rigs worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and then do not adequately fund the accounts to do the pm on them. Little things start to go wrong, then it snowballs into a major problem. I'm willing to bet that just about every FD (career and volunteer) has encountered this at one time or another.

The question of aluminum vs. steel....
    here in the northeast, I have seen a lot of steel bodied fire trucks with severe rust problems. Aluminum does not rust, however it does have a catalytic reaction when in contact with steel, mainly near compartment door handles. Most rust problems can be traced back to flaws in the design of the bodies (areas that allow the buildup of dirt, road salt, etc.) Proper cleaning and detailing of fire apparatus can help prevent these problems from starting.

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting our tomorrows....
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 11-15-2000).]

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

E-ones are great trucks they custom built all three of our Engine Companys, At a recent brushfire drill we had we took a team of Five Engins including ours into the hills we took them onto Highland Avenue that is very narrow with cars on both sides we had a bC unit parked at the corner, Our Engine led the pack we turned onto Highland with problem behind us we had Arcadia, Pasadena, Sierra Madre and La County Sierra Madre also uses an E-one both custom built the E-Ones made the turn with plenty of room to spare every one else had to back p once or twice becasue there Engines were to big for are narrow streets, Plus myrtle avneu the citys main street has a weight limit of no trukc over 1000 tons, So what do we do we have a stell fire truck that weights 2000 tons and there is a fire, Sure you would say go around back, We can't there is no way that a Fire Engine could get into a praking strucutre, E-ones are light we roll down myrtle alot, Look at the April 200 edtion f Firehouse on Page 36 there is an E-One, That E-One is Engine 101, That is my city's bFire Department's Engine Company Monrovia FD a proud little FD which I am proud to be part of no matter the fact that we only have two statiosn anr our Chief is in his second year he has done agreat of not better jobof contionunig a great tradtion of service, Responde time is down from 1-4 minutes to 1-3 minutes with the edtion of 102's

------------------
    Tim Macias
    Engine 101

BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

I DISAGREE WITH TM THE SUBJECT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TURNING RADIUS. THAT SUBJECT HAS TO DO WITH OPERATOR SKILL, AND APPARATUS SPECIFICATION.
    THE TRUTH OF THE MADDER IS THE QUALITY OF E-JUNK.

HERE OUR SOME PROBLEMS WE HAVE COME ACROSS OUR 1989 E-JUNK:
    1. TRANSMITION SLIP
    2. ELCTRICAL WIREING WAS BURNED!!!!!!
    3. BREAKS ARE SHOTIE
    4. WINDOWS DON'T ROLL DOWN OR UP
    5. DOORS WON'T OPEN OR CLOSE
    6. AIR-CON WE DON'T NEED NO AIR-CON
    7. CAB LEAKED
    8. PUMP LEAKS.(STILL DOES) BUT IT'S HALE, NOTHING TO DO WITH E-JUNK . TO BAD THEY DON'T JUST GO TO WATEROUS!

WHILE READING THIS I KNOW YOU HAVE ASKED. "DOES YOUR DEPT. HAVE A PREVENTIVE MAINTENCE PROGRAM??????????"
    YES WE DO!!!! EVERY MONTH A TRUCK IS CHECKED (STAGERED) BY OURSELVES AND THE CITY'S CERTIFIED MECHANICS.
    SO LET'S STICK TO THE SUBJECT PEOPLE.

firecap4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

One point that hasn't been brought up; although I like E-Ones, when my current engine was ordered, I don't recall the Chief asking, "Say, Captain, what brand of engine of engine what you like to ride on?" :P

I do like E-One, but as long as it gets my people to and from the fire safely, pumps water, and puts the fire out, I don't care if it's an E-One, ALF, Seagrave, Pierce, or a bicycle with an Indian back pack!!!!

E-One-riding Captain sends

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Laughs and agrees with daysleeper!

Hoked on fonics werkd four mea!

Lt.

P.S. I prefer ALF & Pierce. "E-Junk", now that's funny.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

TM, have you operated your E-1? I am sure I can come down there with my Pierce Dash (or 5,000 gallon water tender for that matter) and manuver your curves and winding, narrow, light wieght roads just as well. Operator skill plays a huge part in how the apparatus travels. Don't think that you are the only one with winding, narrow roads! I got news for you, I have over 750 square miles of winding, 2 lane, high traffic roadway in my county alone! I know guys that can operate that Pierce better than you drive your own car! What is your wheel base distance? (Space between the front and rear wheels) That may have alot to do with your manuverability. Besides, if all you have is an E-One then you don't know what quality is!

Mark

------------------

Shoeless
    Firehouse.com Guest

BOMBERODAVE,

Are you sure you don't work on my dept. Sounds like you have our truck!

Shoeless

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Mark440 our Chief would have a heartattack if he ever saw a Fire Excplorer or Cadetdriving any rig, So no I have never drivien an E-One,Good Lukc trying to get through with a water tender, Sierra MAadre FD has the same type they already tried, These roads are hard we had a luxary bus get stuck trying to get up to visitor center once. We have the best Engineer's in the entire SGV. Bates, Ochoa, Faulk, Jimeses and the rest of our Engineer's If I had a computer scanned I would take a picture of the raod and scan it in, To show you what I am talking about, But I don't, Arcadai uses Pierce Pasadena uses Seagraves, LA County has KME, Alhambra pierce, SG E-One Sierra Madre E-One, We are not a big budget Fire Department like the rest we only have two stations, So we could not afford to buy something as nice as a Pierce or Seagrave but hey as long as it gets us to and from I Have no probelm plua E-Ones are not as loud, We wear our headsets while rolling code-3

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Arcadia and Pasadena have goode Engineer's also, April 2000 edtion of Firehouse look on Page 36 that is Monrovia FD Engine 101 that pcitures hangs proudly in Station 101

8BALL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have you ever heard the expression "you get what you pay for". My department has 45-50 99'E-one cyclone pumpers and around 15-20 E-one ladder trucks. Several of our pumpers have had problems with cracked frame extensions, some have electrical problems and some you have to tighten bolts on a weekly basis, but I would rather deel with these problems than ride around in our reserve fleet of 86 and 88 seagraves. I think the majority of problems could be corrected with a more detailed pre-delivery inspection.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lotz ov gize here need to gow bak to skool to lern how to spel. Duzunt enywon now whut a spelcheker is?

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

sURE WE KNOW HOW TO SPELL CHECK there is one probelm the spell check that the web team installed on the fourms does not work on my computer, Evry time I do a thing saying Internet Explorer script error comes up. So I DO MY best not mispell

BOMBERODAVE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

COME ON GUYS LET'S NOT GET PERSONAL.
    T.M. IT IS SAFE TO SAY YOU DO NOT HAVE FIRST HAND TRAINING OF FIRE APPARATUS OR MABEY A LITTLE. (BUT I ASSUME YOU ARE LEARNING...GOOD...)
    MABEY LATER ON YOU WILL GO THROUGH SOME OF THE THINGS WE HAVE EXPERIENCED WITH E-JUNK FIRST HAND.
    TILL THEN GOOD LUCK! AND STUDY UP TOO!!!
    I DON'T LIKE THE SPELL CHECK IT WASTES TIME!!!

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The only thing I know about driving a Fire truck is the gas and the break the air horn the sterring wheel and where the lights are, Anything else ask a real Engineer. Talked to Engineer Bates he said that the department has had no problems with our E-Ones we have three use to be four but the fourth is in that fire truck retring home

391HD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with ArmyTruckCompany, that I have seen more negative posts here about E-ONE than any other fire apparatus manufacturer. That would definitely concern me if in the market for new apparatus, as these are the users of the equipment. The lower initial investment, as it appears, could very well end up actually costing more in the long run.
    What kind of duty is the apparatus inclined to see? Perhaps on low call volume dept's, E-ONE's will hold up well, however if exposed to hard, severe duty, major problems arise.

If I'm not mistaken, Pierce offers aluminum and stainless steel bodies as well as galvaneal steel. From what I've been told, sometimes to gain structural strength, aluminum bodies must be reinforced to the point that the weight savings afforded over steel becomes negligible. The main advantage being less corrosion with aluminum.

All in all, I believe it wise to purchase custom fire apparatus from a single source manufacturer, to avoid the "finger pointing" between the chassis and body builders when problems arise.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information