jeremymiles
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Hi from Dinwiddie Co. Virginia

Hi all, from Dinwiddie,VA

First, a little about me. I am a 18 yo Volunteer from Dinwiddie VA. I have been volunteering for about 2 years. I am a certified FireFighter, and an Emergency Medical Technician Basic. I currently attend RBC of the College of William and Mary. I am an Eagle Scout (which got me into the fire service). As far as occupation goes, I am a car stereo salesman for a chain located throughout Virginia and North Carolina. I am currently looking forward to a career with a Paid EMS service.

A little about my department. Namozine Fire & EMS is a fully Volunteer company that covers the northern end of Dinwiddie County. We ran about 1700 calls last year, total. Our yearly budget from the county is $22k, the rest we pay for ourself. We have a few older trucks, that we refurbish OURSELVES. We run a 93 Pierce Dash 1000gal/1250gpm Custom Engine (E42), a 1982 Ford/FMC 1500gal/1000gpm Tanker, a 1972 American LaFrance 100ft Arial ladder which dual-purposes as a Extrication/Tactical Rescue truck, a 1990 Chevy Suburban EMS First Response unit, a 1985 Toyota 4x4 Brush Truck, and a 1991 Ford/Wheel Coach A&BLS ambulance. Pictures of these vehicles can be found at our dept. website, www.namozine.org

Dinwiddie County is a 550 (aprx.) square mi county that is located about 40 miles South of richmond, and 60 miles from North Carolina, with a great mix of Rural, Industrial, Commercial, and Townships. The county is currently home for about 25,000 people, with 17,000 of them in Namozine Co.4 district. Dinwiddie is home to such companies as WalMart (Distribution center for the East Coast), Virginia Motorsports Park (NHRA/IHRA Dragway), Chapparell/TXI Steel, Boars Head Meats, Phillip Morris Tobacco, and others. Dinwiddie Public Safety, the governing body for Fire/Rescue, consists of 5 full Fire Departments, and 1 department shared with another county. 1 Volunteer Rescue Squad, 1 24 Paid EMS Dept (1 crew on 24 hours), and 1 Fire Department that runs an ambulance (Namozine).

Things that make our department unique is the diversity of equipment, and people that we have. The only deparment to run a Ambulance, the only on to run a ladder truck, and the only department that has Hydrants. We have about 45 members, 7 of which are also Paid in another locality.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Also, dont forget to look at our department website @ www.namozine.org

Forum Member

Hi Jeremy.

My name is Chase Bradshaw and i am interested in becoming a Junior Fire Fighter. I go to Dinwiddie HS and am 17 years old. I picked up the application last week and was wondering if you had any more information or tips for me. Thank you in advanced.

Chase Bradshaw

District Chief

Welcome to both of you folks. I was born and raised in Warrenton Virginia and now live in Florida.

You will enjoy the Forums as it is a place to exchange information and network with folks from across the country. Remember there are lots of people on here with lots of experience and lots of information. Respect them and they will respect you and help you in anyway they can. Besides....I want to make sure the boys from Va make a good showing....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information