Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-One or KME

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question E-One or KME

So which would you prefer a Keep Mechanics Employed or E-one Fire Engine?
    KME vs E-ONE
    I say E-one

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

K Mart Express or E-Won't???

NEITHER!!!

I'd still rather push a Pierce or Seagrave than drive an E-One...(Not to worry, though- the E-One is STILL in the shop!!)

Do your part to help the environment- Recyclr your E-One into soda and beer cans!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

First-Due
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Well I hope I don't stir up the ....
    But I feel I must reply. 1st- KME in my opinion is not a good manufacture. We had one 6 yrs. ago It it was the Worst Ride. Not to mention the Mech. Electical,and frame problems.
    E-One well we have 2 of their Engines,both font line pieces. They do only about 1,600 runs.One is a Sentry and the other Cylcone.
    We have had some problems but not to bad.But as the saying goes YOU GET WAHT YOU PAY FOR

FF/EMTSPANBAUER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow....tough choice. To speak honestly, the two departments I belonged to up in PA all decided to invest in KME aparatus. I mean come on, the great representative come out, shows you how your comparing apples to apples, and I mean how can you pass up the price.
    Ding, Ding, Ding. KME just hit a bump in the road...technical knockout!! Need I say more.
    I am sorry, if there are any KME dealers out there reading this, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have driven better KIA's. Electrical shorts, broken parts, rusting bodies, chipping paint, vibrations, the list goes on.
    Now as for E-ONE, I can not comment. I have ridden in a few, and honestly have never sat down and discussed with anyone, pros or cons.
    Reguardless, whatever manufacturer you go with, expect to run into problems. Noone is perfect. However, when it comes to KME, well, better increase your maintnance budget!!

------------------
    --Stay Safe, and Remember our Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

John Spanbauer
    Firefighter / EMT-B / Dispatcher

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Would much rather drive an E-One, This beauty belongs to San Gabriel

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias

[This message has been edited by Engine 101 (edited 12-17-2000).]

Capt68
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Neither ... Go Pierce or go home ... like they said you get what you paid for .. Ryan

------------------
    62 Engine 67 Truck

pipemen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

well we have 3 e-ones and they work very well 1 is a mini pumper 1980,2nd a 1988 1500gpm pumper and 3rd a 1995 8 man 1250 gpm pumper hay pierce come and see the room in a e-one 8 men cab. sea graveyou too.

------------------
    SEE YA AT THE BIG ONE

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Another plus for E-One they are big and spacious in the cabs, But people say they don't carry 8 firefighters and don't need and E-One, What?, You want your firefighters to be uncomfortable on the way to the fire?

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias

rudedog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thats kinda like asking ,"would you prefer a sharp stick in your left or right eye?"

cpr4u
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Tim, didn't you get beat up enough over this same topic here not too long ago? General vote still hangs in with Pierce. May we call you "AL GORE" for constantly wanting a recount?

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What kind of customer service do you get with your E-Junk or KME's? How long do you have to wait to have a truck in your station from the factory when ordering? I can tell you that we ordered 4 Pierce engines on 12-05-2000. We are flying to Orlando on 12-27-2000 to pick the 4 engines up and bring them home. The majority of our apparatus is Pierce. We have over 250 firefighters and only have 1 E-Crap. It is a 105' platform and the guys HATE IT! We will use the the 75' Pierce quint rather that bother with the E-Crapolla!

*Just my opinion, if you don't like it, don't read what I have to write!

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

AVF&R452
    Firehouse.com Guest

Mark:

Just a question... Why would you fly to Orlando to pick up your 4 new Pierce engines?? They are built in Wisconsin.
    The E-One factory is in Florida. What's the deal????

Another question... Did you REALLY order 4 engines on the 5th of December for delivery on the 27th of December????? Seems like a really short time. Our engine took several months from order to delivery.

Jim

[This message has been edited by AVF&R452 (edited 12-19-2000).]

Chris309
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

First, a disclaimer-I'm a Pierce man, and our dept is a Pierce dept.

OK, that aside...

A dept in our County got a KME Aerialcat midmount tower (or whatever they call them) It took them almost a year to get the thing in service. Not cool...and it's still got a lot of bugs.

We have a 1984 E-One rescue mounted on a GMC chassis. It rides rough, but that's obviously GM's fault, not E-One. It's an aluminum body, and there's not a bit of corrosion to be found. Incidentally, we bought this truck right off E-One's lot because we totaled our original rescue. Can't complain for a stock/demo.

Paladin
    Firehouse.com Guest

No experience with E-one...but, I'll jump from the nearest bridge if one more KME shows up in the department. We have two KME engines that are horribly underpowered and are miserable to get parts for. I guess that's what you get when the federal government specs a vehicle, takes a bid and then mass produces it. The coolest thing is...not a single "line guy" had input on the specs for the thing (and yes, I mean thing.)

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Jim,
    Pierce has a plant near Tampa Bay. And yes they were ordered on the 5th of December. What service huh?

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

That does not sound good, Hopefully you will not lose count of how many times they are in the shop becasue the maker did a horrible job on them, They probaly got another order from LA City and wnated to get yours out of the plant and fast so they just slapped it togther with some glue LOL
    Well you are reqruired to come back to this post and post a pic of your new rigs

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias

firefly1361
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I just have to put my two cents in. I'd go for Pierce any day.

"Built With Pride Pierce"

Firefly1361

------------------
    "If You go, We go"

[This message has been edited by firefly1361 (edited 12-20-2000).]

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Given the choice of E-One, KME or never buying anything again, I'd use all the remanufactured parts, paint, duct tape, chewing gum, or whatever necessary to keep our existing rigs on the road...I'd need all that stuff to keep a new KME or E-One on the road anyway.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Did you ever get the feeling that Tim's dad works for the E-One dealer in California?

------------------
    And on the eighth day...God created Firefighters!
    Captain Gonzo

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey Captain Gonzo How's it going? I hope that was a joke?. No my dad does not work for E-One, He works for WPX same type of compnay as UPS he is a divison manager!, The reason I like E-One, Well the ones that we have really have never given us any problems at all, And alot of people at our department are pretty happy with them!. Catch the vibe well seee you around the Firefighters forums!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information