ChiefMcD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question What is a HOOPLE?

What is a hoople?

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I don't know what it is, but I found one named "Mott".
    http://www.surfvancouver.com/mott/mott.html

------------------
    Frank Billington
    - - - - -
    "You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently."
    - - - - -
    I am not presently a member of the Plymouth (MN) Fire Dept, and my statements are not to be construed as related in any way with the PFD.

Chris309
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My dad used to call me a "hoople" all the time when I was a kid. I always thought it meant "silly person" or something like that. He only called me a hoople when I did something stupid...LOL

By the way, I'm assuming that someone called you, or you heard someone being called a hoople. If you are referring to a piece of equipment, I haven't got the foggiest idea.

------------------
    ----------
    Chris

LEGAL MUMBO-JUMBO: Any and all views I've expressed above and on this site are not representative of my department. They are my personal opinions and views. If my department knew the stuff I was spewing out here, they would disavow any knowledge of me anyway. LOL...Stay Safe

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

If it is what I am thinking its something like this...

A wacker/hoople/hoopie/yahoo etc is generally a term applied to overzealous volunteer fire and ems personnel who adorn their vehicles, homes, bodies and any other areas with fire and ems stickers, tools (most of which they have no use for) scanners, radios, emergency lights etc. These are the people who have the back window filled with stickers, most of which are in poor taste such as the Calvin peeing fireman etc. They wear the tasteless shirts like volunteers do it for free, dragon adorned shirts, and other novelty shirts which show no class or respect to the job. They generally are the "lookers" / gloryboys who are useless to most of us but ask them and they have been there and done that. Likely they didn't go beyond firefighter I or EMT and they know it all. They tarnish our image and provide little productivity. Their actions are generally impulsive and dangerous and their driving habits even worse. These are broad generalizations and there are different categories of wackers/hooples, but for the most part they are the ones there stealing the camera when the rest of us are armpit deep in **** doing the work and they can tell you how hard it was at that fire but they have the cleanest set of gear, unless they are a betty crocker fire gear cooker (stick it in the oven for the "weathered look") type. You will usually hear them on the radio often and when they talk they like to talk so they feel special. Does this help you?

I also chuckled when I remembered a gentleman from Boston's comment recently on one of the forums about not trusting people who attach slogans like "taming the dragon" and "beating back the beast" and "dragon slayers" etc. These types of people run rampant here too, their writings are typically easy to spot and a good place to go for this stuff is the Junior Forum (or any forum title related to emergency lights and having many misspellings). That's not a criticism, its simply an observation. Hopefully some will outgrow it but many never do.

There is a difference between being a fire buff/collector (having hobbies) and being a wacker/hoople. Alot of firefighters collect fire memorabilia, but you would never know if you didn't know them and they do the job well without needing to broadcast to the world that they are "whatever."

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

[This message has been edited by M G (edited 01-16-2001).]

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the education, MG!! I've always wanted a name to call people like that, and now I have one! (And I don't imagine they'll have any idea what I mean!!)

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Same here.......Hoople -- they'll have no idea what I am talking about!! LOL...A friend of mine in MD refers to the same type of FF's as ticks....

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We call 'em woo woos

------------------
    In Omnia Paratus

FFE3BFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

MG,
    You want to know where another place to find a mass gathering of wackers, Go to Wildwood the third weekend in September. They're the ones that have (or are purchasing) light bars that would put most rig's to shame.

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

MG...........ZOWIE!!! i I cant' wait for the
    fallout on that one LOL LOL!!

Bill Nowicki
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank God there are a few poeple left in the fire service who see these yahoos for what they are, and the bad name they give us. You can fool the spectators at a fire, but you can't fool the real players.

------------------
    Lt. Bill Nowicki, City Of Portland Maine Fire Dept.

Thread Information