Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    james35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Wig - Wags or no Wig - Wags???

Question 1
    Wig - Wags or no Wig - Wags??? My Department is Toying with the idea, what is your opinion. These are the alternating headlights on emergency vehicles...

Question 2
    What about at night for the apparatus driver?

------------------
    ...James
    james35@firehousemail.com

[This message has been edited by james35 (edited 02-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by james35 (edited 03-09-2001).]

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Are you talking about on the rigs or on pov's?
    We currently don't use them on the engines, they seem to have enough lights on them that people have no problems seeing us.
    Both ambulances are equiped with them however.

------------------
    David Brooks,
    Lieutenant, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not exactly sure of what definition of wig-wags you mean. The emergency waringing light design, or alternating headlights.

However, if you mean alternating headlights....Yes definately! I would get them on every truck you have. They move traffic and have greater warning power for distance then anything else I have seen. Other then alternating headlights, I also like a clear lens, Mars triple "8" light. As far as the other type of wig-wag lights, I'd always pick straight up strobes over them anyday, on the front of my cab.

--------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and does not reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with.

alexff67
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our new Engine has wig wags on it, they work
    real well and add to the visibility alot.

emsbrando
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

wig wags are great. I have had emergency units infront and behind me and the wig wagging headlights were the first things I saw, and from a pretty good distance.

the only problem is that on my company vehicle, the wig wags are on the high beams. This is good for visibility in a distance, but if you get behind another unit, your going to be shining the high beams directly into his mirrors.

Get em', you'll like em'.

Ed Brando

capt103
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

One of the best things we have done here is retro fit the units with Wig-Wags, even with all the nfpa required lights on the trucks we were having problems with vehicles seeing the rigs as they have become larger and taller. The wig-wags are down at the level of the smaller vehicles on the road, and they do move the traffic a lot better. My advise is to retro all your rigs as soon as possible. either with the strobe type or the cheaper ones that alternate. You will see traffic moving over sooner as your travel to the calls.
    as far as driving at night,we have had no complaints from the drivers saying they have made seeing any harder as since u are using headlights anyway the wig-wags are not that noticable.
    THIS IS MY PERSONAL VIEWS AND DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY VIEW OF MY DEPARTMENT.

[This message has been edited by capt103 (edited 03-11-2001).]

KVFD3804
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have them in my POV and I think they are the greatest eye catcher, and that's out of a bar light and ultra thin strobes in the grill.
    Mine are set up on my high beams and work great.
    Jim

HR314
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Go with the wig-wags (alternating) on the high beams. You will enjoy them very much, as they move traffic very well! My only advise is to put them on a separete toggle switch due to the fact that running clear lights on scenes can be dangerous and also cuts the service life in half, also running wigwags during heavy fog is not advised either, for obvious reasons.

Enjoy your new purchase!

(These are personal views, not views of my department)

------------------
    Will Roberts
    Firefighter II/ EMT-B
    Heucks Retreat Fire Department
    Brookhaven, MS

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Wig-Wags are a great tool in Emergency Lighting --- I use them on My POV as do a god portion of our members --- People tend to see them in all phases of weather day or night ---- Heres is a sort of Funny Wig-Wag Story for All ---- Responding to the Fire House One Day about Two Summers ago I was behind a driver that pulled over and then once along side my right he began beeping his horn at me --- Now keep in mind I was responding to a working fire and had my concentration on the radio and the traffic around me -- I glance ove rat this guy who is franticly pointing towards the front of my car --- I Lowered the Window and he Hollers "There is a Short in your Head Lightd they are blinking back and forth" Just goes to show you that almost everyone doesn't see the Blue Light which I also had on at the time {A mini bar on the roof no less} Some People........

weir_33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

All this talk of lights and flashers has me green. We are faced with reg's that limits us to red only on all Fire apparatus No Wig Wags (we have them but their outlawed with the exception of police)Only the Chief & DChief are allowed lights on p/v. We recently were turned down on the request for green light's for FF's

------------------
    Lieut. J.B.WEIR
    Summerville Vol Fire Dept
    Pride In Service !

thunter16148
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have wig-wags on my personal vehicle and I believe they help you to be seen tremendously.What drove me to get them was that was the first thing I seen on a sheriff's cruiser about a mile and half away in the middle of the day.They sure standout over the lightbar.I recommend that they are able to be disabled so when you are following another unit at night.

Mike

visit our site at ..... www.geocities.com/oakwood_vfd

[This message has been edited by thunter16148 (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by thunter16148 (edited 04-16-2001).]

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I put wig wags in my POV this fall. I have had great success with them along with my dash strobes. There are several different flash patterns you can get(Galls shopper myself) there is a 3flash per second, 1.7 FPS..I personally like the 1.7 FPS...the 3 FPS seems a little too fast..almost like the lights aren't flashing but on steady. All wig wags work off of your high beam lights and are very easy to install. As far as I know, Wig wag night use is STRONGLY discouraged, due to the fact that you are flashing your high beams. In Mass I know they were illegal for a few years to run on POV's as far as putting them on Apparatus, if the vehicle is equipped all in strobes, I would say not to put them in, due to all the other rapidly flashing lights. but if you run with halogen's, go fo it

WFDFFEMTI
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Wig-Wags provide greater visability during day time operation. They are visable for a long period of time giving motorists a chance to see the emergency vehicle long before said vehicle is too close.
    As far as night operation, some operators don't seem to have a problem with them. With exception to rain, snow or fog. If they are installed so that they can be turned off, independent of the other warning devices, whenever the operator needed there should be no problem.

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Personally I like wig-wags I think they do a good job of moving traffic. We have them on both of our ambulances, don't have them on any fire trucks, but it would be nice. BUT in Virginia, it is illegal to have them on POV. On Emergency Vehicles it is illegal to run them at night.

NEWT1670
    Firehouse.com Guest

Does anyone know if Wig-Wags are legal in New York State, for volunteer firefighters to use? Let me know...thanks.

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a wig-wag setup for red par36 lights behind my grill to work with the hidden strobes in my headlights and people really get out of my way, on our trucks and ambulances they came from the factory with them in the headlights and they flash both high and low beams when the headlights are not turned on and if they are then the high beams only flash and if they are on then nither of them flash, and they came with a switch to disable them if conditions are bad or the operator doesn't want them on. They really do work well.
    Stay safe.

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have a wig-wag setup for red par36 lights behind my grill to work with the hidden strobes in my headlights and people really get out of my way, on our trucks and ambulances they came from the factory with them in the headlights and they flash both high and low beams when the headlights are not turned on and if they are then the high beams only flash and if they are on then nither of them flash, and they came with a switch to disable them if conditions are bad or the operator doesn't want them on. They really do work well.
    Stay safe.

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Stay safe.

Barry Friesen
    Firehouse.com Guest

AS weir 33 stated I believe they are "banned" in Canada. Some study somewhere...you know. We had them on an Ambulance and they were great, but I think the are annoying to oncoming traffic.

Barry Friesen
    Firehouse.com Guest

AS weir 33 stated I believe they are "banned" in Canada. Some study somewhere...you know. We had them on an Ambulance and they were great, but I think the are annoying to oncoming traffic.

Thread Information