engineer19
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question manpower shortages

What is your department doing to compensate for the lack of manpower?

[This message has been edited by engineer19 (edited 04-06-2001).]

james35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Using a lot of Luck, prayer and Mutual Aid.

------------------
    ...James
    james35@firehousemail.com
    Training Officer
    Olney - Walluski Fire District # 35 (Oregon)

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We had an incident a few months ago and it was during a weekday, after the siren went off a second time, all the probies in high school skipped school and went to the call... Back in the day, when I was in high school, we would have gotten in trouble and possibly suspended. But it was somewhat overlooked because it was them and the retired folk at the fire....We're very fortunate that we only get a handful of fires a year and they're usually at night.

SmokeEater31
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a HIGH fire call load. Where as most departments are mostly EMS responses etc.. we only respond to Trauma EMS, and drownings/recoveries at the state lakes. OTher than that it is a fire load that runs us. Grass fires, structure fires, so on. We also pray and mutal aid. For the mostpart, if it is a worker, there is a good enough turnout to dump the station, not always with "FULL" apparatus, but if that occurs, Mutual Aid is activated and we have pretty good luck.

Lately, most of the department has been laid off (as most of us seem to be either concrete truck drivers or plumbers) and so, we have had a good response. With spring oming though, the troubles that plague us will be visiting us again soon.

Well, here's to hoping.

------------------
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT
    Vice-Pres./Asst. EMS Coordinator
    Fremont Rural Fire Department

ThickSmoke3
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have about 8 firefighters in town from 7 am to 5 pm. Mutual aid, mutual aid , mutual aid.

Texas Fire Recruit
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

This may be a dumb question,but why are there shortages of personnel? Is it due to money constraints or is it limited supplies of qualified candidates?

Also, is this the main discussion forum or is there somewhere else to discuss these general topics? Just curious. (It's only my second time here)

Thanks

obie21
    Firehouse.com Guest

I belong to a rural volunteer fire department. Most calls require mutual aid and many times "retirees" man the trucks. Much time is also spent on training and fund raising, further straining manpower requirements. Prioritizing between work, family and fire department needs often leads to something being dropped, usually the fire department. There are few good answers to this problem.

engineer19
    Firehouse.com Guest

I appreciate everybody's input......the biggest reasons for lacking manpower that I have found have been budget issues in career departments. And, as far as volunteer departments go, I have found that most people have a hard time finding time. With the increasing training requirements it is tough. I know that if it wasn't for me being a career firefighter, I would have a hard time keeping up my training hours. My hats off to the volunteers out there! Keep up the good work. As far as solutions....thank God for mutual aid!!

Thread Information