Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    firemans3@aol.com
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Standing in front of fire station

How many fire depts. have a chief that will not let them stand in front of the station while on duty?? (Ours won't)

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is your chief's reasoning behind not letting you stand in front of the station? As far as my dept is concerned, it more readily welcomes the public to stop in.

[This message has been edited by EFDems841 (edited 05-28-2001).]

SPARKY8545
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We do it all the time ! We even have a name for it. We call it "Rampin'" and hang out after just about every run, after a work out, after dinner, etc. it gets boring just sittin' in the station waitin' for the bells to hit right?

------------------
    Rob Sparks
    SAFD STATION 7

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've been assigned to a few military fire departments over the years where particular Chiefs didn't want us hanging out in front of the station as they claimed it sent a bad message to the public that all we did is stand around-We never agreed but the Chief is the Chief .... Other Chiefs it didn't matter to.

Is your chief on drugs? How are you supposed to be an interactive part of the community you serve if you don't interact with them? I would love to hear the logic behind his/her reasoning for this rule. During the summer, a lot of our stations take part in "ramping". This usually takes place after dinner, sometimes with a cup of coffee. We sit in chairs on the front ramp and just watch the neighborhood and world go by. It's sometimes the best part of the day.
    Crazy from the heat!!!

I can certainly understand rules like no smoking or foul language on the front ramp, but no standing around? Some of the most valuable knowldege I've gained outside of the fireground has been through discussions with other firefighters. The front ramp is many times where we meet the citizens we serve. It is my belief that when a citizen passes by, they don't say "Look at the lazy firefighters," but "There are those volunteers, spending their free time standing by waiting to respond to our emergencies."
    David Hilliard
    Sergeant
    Savage VFC

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

We even have a park bench in front of one of our stations.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Thread Information