Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burned out

gonzoff16
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Burned out

Any one have any suggestions to get over this. Been in this ten years,seen a lot felt a lot. Just tired of all the bull at the higher levels. Don't get any where if you don't kiss some well you know.

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Welcome to my world. I've been in ten years, too. It's the same people for the same events which is why I gave up on the quarterly newsletter after 7 or so years and chairing the annual fire prevention-open house day in October. We went to a Memorial Day parade on Memorial Day (Monday) morning and a lot of the members didn't show up. We have many members who fought in WWII and Vietnam -- there's no respect. We also don't get too many fires or "real" incidents so when we do, it's mayhem to get on an apparatus because people literally come out of the woodwork. And everybody knows everything about everything......No need for this individuals to show up for drills or training or even to stay through the whole class.....

Fortunately, I know that I will not live in this town forever, so I am continuing my education and am on "school leave".

That's my 2 cents.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

Been a volly now for 11 years....Have expierienced the same thing these posts have touched on, especially the "know someone to get anywhere" thing. In my volly house, the chief has his little "cliques" and it ****es me off to no end.

Another part of my problem lately; I am now and have been career for 5 years now. And between all the bullsh*t at work, and the bulsh*t at the volly house, it's getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore!! (BURNOUT!!!) But I have to make a decision.....Do I put up with the BS at the vollies, or the BS at work??? Well folks, guess who wins here??? The vollies don't pay my mortgage....Hence my presence at the volly house being scarce lately. I HAVE to put up with it at work (or else I don't get a paycheck...) Do you really think I want to go home after a 24 hour shift and put up with it for free???? I don't think so!!!!!!!

Your attitude about putting up with the BS is a lot different when there is a paycheck behind it!!!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Smokeetr4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

One of the best ways that I have used to eliminate burnout and stress is to use this philosophy. Simply put- DON'T BE BOTHERED BY THINGS YOU CAN'T CONTROLL--. It doesn't matter if you are paid or volunteer, try not to lose sight of the reason for being on the job. Remember being a firefighter is somthing you are not just somthing you do. There are fools around every corner and misery by the bag full in this job if you start trying to fix everything you will surely be taken to the rubber room.

Have fun--Stay safe--bob.

oldvtjake
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I everyone. Don't let the BS get you down. I have been around the job for 30 years both in firefighting and EMS. In both paid and volly positions. It does not change from one place to the other. Make up your mind that you are there for a purpose. That purpose is to give your community the best you can. Think of all the positive things that happen. The little hand that reaches for yours for guidance. The elderly person that smiles when you arrive to take care of them in their troubled times. The look on the faces of that family as you come out of the building with their pet in your arms. Those are the things to me that make this job worth all of the BS. Yea I too have suffered from BURNOUT, but guess what, I'am still here and and still proud to be on the job. If somethings happening at the firehouse or EMS building that you don't like, speak up and offer suggestions. Sometimes it is only the few that have to do everything to make the whole orginization work. But that's OK, we made the choice to be there and offer our help.

" The stars that shine so bright at night are our brothers and sisters watching over us."

Fire Eater 07
    Firehouse.com Guest

You know i have been doing this for 7 years with the last 3 1/2 on a paid FD. I have also gotten fed up with the cliques and the BS...Then i look arond and think...i work 3 days a week on my long week, this TRUELY is the greatest job there is....it doesnt matter how much shiot i put up with because i love my job....AND I just found out im having a boy, so i got my little tailboard on the way!!!!
    stay safe brothers

------------------
    Engine / Squad Co.# 7

CFD14
    Firehouse.com Guest

Congratulations Fire Eater 07

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

My brothers (and sister), don't let anyone or anything get you to the point of giving up. Take it from me, a guy who had his resignation letter in his back pocket for a week because he was fed up with the bull****! It made me realize a few things, ****ing people off can be easy, but you can make it into an artform. F-them! If their gonna make your life miserable . . . well it takes two to tango! Unless of course your company pride level is at an all time low, and then maybe you should reconsider your pros & cons in the volly b/s olympics! It's like a NYC fireman once told me, (although he was referring to different firehouses in NYC, but it can be applied when referring to vol f.d. too) :

"it's the same circus, just different clowns."

cheer up, drink up, and if all else fails, take um' outside the firehouse, and f-um up!

don't let them bring you down!!!!! - S.T.

------------------
    - tony
    (also can be emailed @
    toneloc177@bronxems.com
    " " " @firehousemail.com
    " " " " @hotmail.com)

Fire29_1999
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am pretty close to nine years in this dept. and the last five have been the worst we are in that phase where we need full time staff and the city can't see it. we have 7-6 coverage with paid staff (two on shift except on Wed. when there are four) and vol. off shifts. We are going through some pretty major changes way too fast and going through way too many people way too fast. Talk about burn out. At nine years I am one of the old guys, that is too fast. I know what you mean but I don't have any ideas sorry I wasted your time.

------------------
    Stay safe

fire1022a
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Sometimes it good to get burned out. What I mean is that this is what you do either as a proffesion or a hobby, but it is not who you are. I had to take a year off to realize that This is what I do not who I am. After that year I was able to be a better firefighter because i didn't have any expectations of anyone else just what I could contribute to the community and the fellow firefighters who also wanted to get passed the BS and have fun.

Well I have only been in the fire service for 3 years, but I have had to put up with alot of BS. Just keep you head and do what you are supposed to do and no one can knock you down. No matter what they say or do. Just smile when the next guy gives you crp and make him look like a jack... when you out preform him. Kelly

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: kelly ]

dont feel bad been doing this 16 years felt burnt out several times but I just remember why I joined in the first place and that was to help other people and that keeps me going.

T. Barreca, Jr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Beeen in this for 32 years. Don't let things you have no controll over get you down. Do your job and smile when things get you down, because we have all been there before. The main thing to remember is if in your heart you are content with you self then everything else will work themself out. Hang in there.

Hey Gonzo,
    I have ben doing this for 13 years now. Just before I "became legal". I have got to tell you, I have had some bad days in the service. You know thoise especially hard calls, when you lose a child in a fire or something, and it makes you think that "it just isn't worth it." And then there is the political BS that occurs, but then I remember WHY I do it. It is the same reason that it has alwas been, because I love it. I have seen some good things mentioned here, but the thing to remember is what has been said before. Don't allow the smallthings get ou down and rob the people of the community of an experienced firefighter. Remember WHY you started this, and dpn't sweat the small stuff, and it is ALL small stuff!! Hang on there bro.
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT

"I have but ONE ambition in life....that is to be a firefighter"

Been there and done that. I've been doing the job for fifteen years, 3 departments both volly and currently paid. The best advice I have is tounge in cheek, grin and bear it. You can only do so much. The first volly dept I belonged to the chief his two sons, nephews, cousins, and any other relative you could think of were in the dept in some sort or another as officers and or firefighters. I got really PO'd a lot of times. A hugr click. Nothing got done but there way, I along with someother firefighters got so burned out and fed up that we transfered to other depts. Looking back at it it was kinda a growing or stepping stone. Sometime you just have to step back and cool it for a while, collect your thoughts, take your lumps and start over. We never stop growing, we get stronger because of it. It's better to take time off job for a little than to have a problem on a call and put the whole team in jepordy. We are all brothers and sisters and we have to respect that. Talk to your Chief or line officer and put all the cards on the table, your not the first to have this problem and you won't be the last. Take care, be safe and good luck.

Engineer Varrato
    Engineer 137

I am a first year firefighter, and I have seen so many politics, both on and off the fire ground, that it comes close to making me sick. But I'm not here for the politics, I am here to help out the community and my neighbors. Even as a first year firefighter I have gone though a massive amount of trainings, and obtained a number of certifications for this that and the other thing. I am not doing any of this for myself or for my department. I am doing this my friends and neighbors, who dont, or wont take the opportunity to learn, or risk themselves for others.
    Many people in this day and age won't do anything unless there is a paycheck after each and every meeting. I Thank God that I don't have to know as much, or work as hard at my normal job.
    I truly love being a fire fighter, and I knew when I became a part of this dept that there would be no check waiting for me, I knew that most of the equipment would be older than myself, but there isn't a thing about it I would change, other than getting rid of the politics that don't need to be there, but since that isn't a part of the job description, I leave it all at the station when I leave.
    I can't thank my fellow brothers and sisters around the globe for allowing me to be a part of this family. For making me feel like one of the family. Please don't let the politics ruin it for you or for your neighbors and community, no one has anything to gain if you toss up your hands and walk away.
    May God be with each and everyone of you, always.
    Thomas Jordi

Hi again. You want to hear some BS. I found out that some of my Department officers have rigged the Civil Service test so they can hire who they want. They do not know that I know I printed out the documents. I am not sure what to do with them. If I go foward with the information alot of people will be fired and my life here ruined. If I keep quiet I will still be unable to trust anyone I work with and I feel I need to resign. Any help with this matter?

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I would seek out a lawyer from a different town. This could get ugly if everything you say is true.

Kelly, Diane is correct. I have been a civil litigation lawyer for almost 30 years. Get a legal opinion that the documents are what you believe them to be.. What seems obvious to you may not be. You wouldn't want to provide grounds for this to backfire and you wind up being sued for any number of causes of action that I can think of just off the top of my head. Get legal advice before doing anything.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

If what you are saying is true- I for one would be real ****ed off if I were a person who took that Civil Service Exam and got passed over for someone who scored less than me just because "They" wanted their buddies....File an anonymous complaint with the State Department of Civil Service, or the FLSA people. They have to protect you under the whistleblowers protection laws. I implore you- DO NOT sit on this!!! Act ASAP!
    Good Luck!!
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Thread Information