Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MATYJO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Looking for information

Hello all! I am in the Air Force but will be getting out shortly. I am interested in pursuing a career in fire fighting. Any advice your willing to give? Also, how/where would I get started? Thanks in advance! I respect the work you all do on a daily basis and am excited to be a part of it!

CaptK
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Cannot provide a lot of recent information, but I am a retired captain from Fairfax County Virginia. During my 25 years we had a lot of folks come on board from all branches of the service. Fairfax is located just out side of Washington, D.C. They have a great career structure, they cover an area of 399 square miles, with 36 engine companies, supported with truck and squad companies and very highly trained ems division. And there is an excelent fire prevention division, if you choose to take that route. If you call 703-691-2126 they can point you in the right direction. At the time of my retirement they had a staff of about 1100 uniform staff. Hope this provides some starting point for you , GOOD LUCK

What state are you wanting to live in? I am in a Coast Guard HazMat Tech and volunteer firefighter, and I live just off of McGuire AFB, in NJ. There are quite a few FF jobs around here opened or are opening up, mostly for FF/EMT or EMT-P though. If you drop me an e-mail, I can try to hook you up with any info I come across. corbitt_ffemt@hotmail.com.

The Philadelphia Fire Department is currently accepting applications to take the civil service exam for the position of Firefighter. The test is rumored to be being given in September. Contact the city of Philadelphia (uniformed positions), or you can download an application from IAFF Local 22's webpage at www.local22iaff.com

Any active duty military with honorable discharges will automatically receive 10 extra points on the exam.
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Thread Information