Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Digital Cameras

Default Digital Cameras

We are shopping for Digital Cameras and wanted to know if anyone had info on which is the best and what to get. Nothing fancy just take pictures and put it on the computer for future reference. Up to 500.00 please . Thanks in advanced.
    James Bingham
    Firefighter/EMT
    Lewis & Clark Fire District
    Astoria Oregon
    james35@firehousemail.com
    http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/Astoria4OR

MembersZone Subscriber

Take a look at the FUJIFILM FinePix 1400Zoom.

It is a 3x Optical Zoom w/ 1.3 Mega Pixels.

It has 1280 X 960 (40 pics on 16 MB card) or 640 X 480 (roughly 156 pics on 16 MB card). I use it for my second job in real estate. It takes great pictures in the 640 x 480 - Normal mode.

I checked it and the one Olympus makes that is almost identical in features out on www.askjeeves.com. Was very pleased with the ratings on both but chose the FUJIFILM because it had the same features and ratings but was only $299, compared to $399.

I have been very happy with this camera and have taken 1,000's of photos with it. Take a look at it, and good luck.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

For simplicity and ease of transferring pics, I'm partial to the Sony Mavica's that save images to floppy disks-If you plan to take a fair amount of pics at a time this is a good way to go rather than spending more money on memory cards. a lot depends on what exactly you will be using the camera for.

I use a Canon PowerShot S10. So far, I am extremely pleased with it. 2.1 megapixels, a 35-70mm (equivelant[F2.8-F4.0] ) zoom, flash, etc. Takes great pics. Use it to take pics of wrecks, fires, etc. and take to ER to show docs. Adapters to view on TV, computer, or can hook up to pic printer.

Uses CF cards (16mb about $40.00).

At 1600 x 1200 pixels, a 32 meg CF card holds 57 pics, at 800 x 600 pixels same card holds about 260 pics.

LCD display (on or off) or optical viewfinder

Date/Time display

Camera and battery charger w/ 2 batteries(burns juice faster than California), software (Canon and Adobe), an 8 & 2-16 meg CF cards was $499.00 (buddy of mine owns camera store), about $700.00 if not for him.

Fancy camera, though. I looked at the Sonys, but didn't want to carry around a bunch of floppys (6 pics to a disc).
    Peace,
    TROLL

I have and my Fire/Rescue company has a sony mavica FD-87. it's and awesome camrea w/ so many options.

FF/EMT CHRIS HALDEMAN
    "PROTECTOR OF THE HILL"
    Akron Fire/Rescue Company
    STATION 1-2

[ 07-07-2001: Message edited by: CHRIS HALDEMAN ]
    FF/EMT CHRIS HALDEMAN
    "PROTECTOR OF THE HILL"
    Akron Fire/Rescue Company
    STATION 1-2

Another person jumping on the Sony Mavica bandwagon. I bought one and love it. You can use 3.5 inch floppy disks, and also buy an adapter disk that lets you use memory cards if you want. The resolution gets better with each generation. Sony also has a new one which saves pictures to a CD-RW disk, but that one is well over $1,000. I have seen the floppy dick ones for less than $400. I carry 8 disks and that has always been more then enough.

Thread Information