Default Hello / Honor Guard Protocols

Hi all,
    I'm a FF/EMT with Rhinebeck FD. We are a volunteer FD in NY. I've been with the department for 3 years. I am trying to find a set of honor guard protocols that we can use for the parades we attend. Too many of our menbers have too many ideas as to what the "correct way" to do things is. I realize it varies somewhat from parade to parade based on the judging criteria, but I would like to find something we can fall back on. Many seem to use military protocols, but I cannot find a definitive list. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to hear them.
    Thanks in advance
    Win

Basic rules:
    Flag(s) have to be guarded on both sides by either FF's carrying axes or rifles. We found this out the hard way at the Chatham fair a few years ago. Ours was guarded by 2 "unarmed" FF's and got points deducted for it.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

You are in New York... Did you try the New York State, or Southern NY or Nassau or Suffok County Parade And Drill Team Capt. asso. all or these groops have rule books that they judge your fire dept by....try them they make the rules lbtsfd@bellsouth.net
    PS just a Fl craker helpen out yall...

Forum Member

Have you checked with the National Guard, Army Reserve unit or any other military contacts? I am sure they can hook you up with the military "standard" for the handling of the colors.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I have tried all of those, and I found alot of information about them, but so far I have had no luck finding any color guard guidelines.
    Thanks for the help
    Win

Thread Information