Default changes in EMT/paramedic curricula

In MS curriculum for EMT and paramedic schools are changing drastically. Is this true in other areas?

Ultimately pre-reqs as advanced as A and P 1 and 2 will be required before admittance to medic school. Long term a 4 year degree may be in the works, but has not been set in stone yet... MS is trying to be in the lead at this juncture in EMS, but I am curious if other states are moving at similar rates if at all???

Russty

I just moved from Nebraska and there they have done the same thing. In NE. they of course originally had EMT, EMT-I, and EMT-P. Well, they have changed the ciriculum the last I heard to the point that an EMT-I will now be trained even CLOSER to the level of MEdic, and it went from a 6 month program to 2 year program. Medic went to a 4 year program, or were in the process when I left there. It is going to get to the point that if you do not do when you are young, before you have commitments to life (i.e. family), then you will not be able to go on and become a Medic later in life. I disagree with it whole heartedly. When I voiced thatto to the college rep that I was discussing it with, he told me that the general idea was to make the Medic "look more professional". I then stated that it would lead to alot of unemployed medics because many services would go with the "cheaper" intermediate EMT. I think it stinks to high heaven and I am GLADI bailed out of there before I went on in my career.
    I am still learning about California, so i am notqualified to even guess at the answer there.
    Your Brother In The Service,
    Rob Herpel
    FF/EMT

"I have but ONE ambition in life....that is to be a firefighter"

Wow..Seems like Massachussetts is taking a step backwards. I'm currently doing clinicals for Intermediate. We can only do NS IV's and intubate. We in Region 1 used to e able to do Ringers and D5 . Nothing in sight aout getting to the nationa standard with frontline drugs being used by I's
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

MembersZone Subscriber

They are also changing here in NY. You can now take a 2 year A.A.S. program for medic. Or the certification process takes approx. 18 months now, being you basically have to go to a college. And you have to have or be taking A&P 1/2 in the first few semesters or you don't meet the prerequisites to move on. "I" here in NY is also suppose to come online with the new national standards also.

The only thing that still makes me laugh though, is how a person needs a license to cut your hair. But I only have to be certified to give you meds, needles, etc. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

--------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

I am currently going through a paramedic program at the school of EMS in Cleveland, we are using the new brady books with the new info in them, there are a lot of problems with the books and the teachers are teaching from the old book and a lot of info has changed, no to mention that most of the time on the tests the students for the most part fail due to the change in the info. So needless to say that if your thinking of going to a medic school then ask what books they are going to use and if it is the new brady books I would think twice about going to that school.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

Thread Information