Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Pro's and Con's of Bluelights?

What's your opinion on volunteer firemen using bluelights?

thanx for you response.

Blue Lights will get you busted
    bad bad bad

I live in Florida blue lights are for the police/LAWMAN only
    we use red...

same thing just. diferent

but: Regaurding your question
    some people yeild and some don't
    some people even if your driving a tiller will not move out of your way...

remember Rule # 1 if we are dead we can't help any body else....

Please drive safe as possable...

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Around here, people with blue lights think that they can break every traffic law ever written. I don't have a blue light. It's not going to get me to the firehouse any quicker even if I did have one.

When i volunteered in Illinois, we used blue lights. We recieved no special treatment from any kind of officer. We could not go thru red lights ,stop signs...etc.... all it was for was a courtesy for some people to get out of the way..although some people do take advantage of the light as if they were a cop or whatnot...NOw that i live in SC volunteers use red lights and sirens...and my friends!!! most are dangerous as hell!! Due Regaurd??? most have never heard of it
    stay safe
    Its not something you do,
    Its something you are.
    "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
    Engineer
    Engine Co. # 1
    THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Blue-Lights have their good and bad points. I have a mini light-bar on my car and a Visor Mounted Duel Blue/White Strobe on the Wife's car {In case I'm in that one} I feel I drive in a safe manner. {Don't blow through Traffic Lights or Stop Signs} My speed isn't excessive either. It isn't worth it to speed just because a pile of leaves is on fire or a house for that matter. I have seen people abuse the Blue-Lights here in New Jersey by Speeding, Going through Red-Lights, Passing on the Right and riding peoples rear-ends. I've also seen some guys out there that think the more lights you have on your car/truck the brighter you'll be and the faster people will move out of your way. Not True by any means. My personal Opinion is Lights are good to have when nessesary and if used responsibly they are a nice tool to have in the response to an emergency. All it takes is one knuckle head to spoil it and the general public gets that impression that Volunteer Firefighters are flasing that light just to get through the traffic for no reason or they think we're all dangerous which isn't true. As an example in my town in Southern New Jersey out of 35 active members I'd say about 18-20 Have some sort of Blue-Light from Full Bar Lights to Dash Mounted Strobe Lights and since I've belonged to the company {1998} No body has ever had or caused an accident responding to the hall. Not that this a perfect example but it's one to reference
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

i gotta say i love runnin blue lights. I have the new " stealth" mini strobe on my truck and i get there faster in traffic than i would with out them, and the police here don't give us much trouble

[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: sffd18 ]
    [image]http://members.aol.com/sffd18/images/beeper.gif[/image]

I run a 6 strobe mini edge on the roof of my truck and most people are VERY courteous about yielding to me, I appreciate their courtesy. However, on my 4 mile trip to the station occasionally I DO get behind someone who doesn't care and I have to deal with it...

oh well
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

I have a blue light that I use only after I get to the scene. I have had people run off the road at times trying to get out of the waywhen i would use it going down the road (two lane road) so I quit this pratice.I dont want to be the one to cause a accident.So just on the scene is fine with me.

blue lights can work.....but it never made since to me as a volly when I had to obey every traffic rule, people could choose to pull over or not and as soon as I got to the station I get in a huge fire wagon with all the normal bells and sirens and can then drive in a due regard mode to the scene with consequences for those who don't yield right of way what is the difference?
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Don't waste your money!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

waaaaahh keith
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haven't we been here before! Just obey the the laws...get there safe...do your job, and don't worry if you have a dash light. just takes away from the room on the dash!! lol

Get to the scene, or the station at best speed...get the apparatus out, and to the scene, (again at best speed) and stay sfae!

hvfd32
    Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way!

MembersZone Subscriber

Haven't we been here before! Just obey the the laws...get there safe...do your job, and don't worry if you have a dash light. just takes away from the room on the dash!! lol

Get to the scene, or the station at best speed...get the apparatus out, and to the scene, (again at best speed) and stay safe!

hvfd32
    Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way!

I have been a member of a vol. department for about 6 years now. When I frist got on I used it all the time. Now I just use it at scenes or when needed. I always use it on Halloween to warn the children. I agree that it does not always get you to the fire station any faster. I do use it for Structure fires, it seems to work then. We don't have much trouble with the blue lights. We live in a town with about 8,000 people, small town in northeran IL. Just always drive safe, if you don't get to the station alive you can't help anyone else.
    "FIRST IN; LAST OUT"

Drive safe

hey KeithA8,

I have been a IAFF member for over 20 years, and I am glad to tell you that you are definitely in the minority with your "scab" opinion. You give us career firefighters a bad name amongst our brother and sister firefighters that have chosen not to make this their career, or are future firefighters, but are very proud to serve their communities.

Next time you have a "brain fart" to make a foolish comment like the one you previously made, don't identify yourself a member of this Union. It's not what the fire service or the IAFF is all about.

Thread Information