Thread: The First Call

Default The First Call

Hi. I was wondering the nature of everyone's first emergency call. Also, if you have a unique or unusual one, feel free to share it. Thanx!

Rich
    HVFD Cadet

Visit us online at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever</A> I say doesn't represent the opinions of my department.

My first call was a two-car MVA accident in the North End of my town. We were returning from our third station when we came upon two cars that had collided. Both were in snow banks and there were minor injuries. We used our ambulance to tarnsport one to a hospital in Manchester, CT, and our neighboring ambulance in Andover transported two to the prompt care center in Marlborough.
    Rich
    HVFD Cadet

Visit us online at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever</A> I say doesn't represent the opinions of my department.

Forum Member

My first call was when I was a full timer in the military. I was with Range Control in CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick Canada. It was a brush fire at supper time that only went to about 4 acres before we stopped it. I remember it especially because I was acting as crew commander in a modified M113 APC fire truck (fire track?!?) and lifted up my visor for only a second to sneeze,and got my nose lacerated by a sharp flying rock thrown up from a track.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Mine was probably an "automatic alarm" at one of the vilage hospitals or nursing facilities.....

I wish I could remember what the first call was that I ran on but since I've been on the department, we've run approximately 13,000 calls. I've been here for 14 years so I really can't remember back that far but it was probably an EMS run.
    Serving with Pride and Dedication since 1988.

My first call was at Galena Airport, Alaska in December 1977. I was a brand new Air Force firefighter - on the job a whopping two days. Was a hangar fire at 68 degrees below zero. Talk about a rude awakening.

Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

My first call July 1983 was a swift water rescue turned body recover in a real cold river in Northern California. It was very sad to bring up this young boy right past the dad to the ambulance.

Osh599, give me a break, I run about that many calls a year and have been doing this 18 plus years, yet I can remember my first call. In other words your not the only one whom has a busy house.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

My first call was to a Mom & Pop grocery December 1972 They had brought in a fairly small display of fireworks for the Christmas season. A four year old child somehow got a hold of some matches and started the fire near the fireworks causeing them to explode. We knocked the fire down quickly with little damage to the building but was not able to reach the child in time. All I can say is what a way to start.
    "Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes"
    Author Unknown

The first call, I remember my first fire call real well. It was a 4 alarm Goodwill Store. We got alerted to transfer an engine to one of the stations in the county. No sooner did we get to the the station we got hit to go to the fire ground. I had just come out of fire school and was really nervous. We got on scene to stage and fire was still blowing out of the building. Of course my mind went blank with what do I do if we have to go in and why am I here. Wjen they called for our crew we were used as RIT so we didnt get to go in thankfully. The call was on December 23rd,1999 @0230. It also happened to be the coldest night of the year. Take care and stay safe everyone.....

Heather Helm
    EMT-B/FF II
    Station 13
    Carroll County, Maryland
    "The above statement is my opinion and not that of my station."

MY FIRST CALL WAS WHEN I WAS A GREEN VOLUNTEER (AND I MEAN GREEN!). I HAD JUST FINISHED MY CLASSES. IT WAS A FULLY INVOLVED VEHICLE ON I-20 IN 5PM TRAFFIC. I PULLED THE LINE AND APPROACHED THE CAR - THE GAS TANK VENTED JUST ABOUT THE TIME I GOT CLOSE. SCARED ME TO DEATH!!! ON TOP OF THAT, THE OPERATOR SENT ME ABOUT 2FT OFF OF THE GROUND WITH 150PSI (I ONLY WEIGH 140), AND I FELL TO THE GROUND - WITH ABOUT 50 PASSING MOTORIST LOOKING ON (LOL). I STILL GET PICKED ON ABOUT THAT DAY. GOOD LUCK 2 U---

My first call was for a attempted suicide. On the way, we rounded a hard corner and one of our 25 lb dry chem extinguishers fell over and erupted in the cab of the truck. Filled the cab with a white fog, still remember the smell and taste to this day, and that was 7 years ago. As we arrived, 10-200 showed up with guns drawn. Pretty intense for a new guy.

Some days you're the dog, Some days you're the hydrant,,,What kinda day are you having?
    Some days you're the Dog, Some days you're the Hydrant.

My first real call was a medical emergency. I was still only a first responder responding with two paramedics and two other first responders. The patient was a 49 year old man suffering from an AMI. He was in so much pain he wet himself. I felt totally useless because I was so new. Then the patient asked me if he was going to die. I had no idea what to say to him. The next day I read his name in the obituaries. It was then that I realised that I couldn't save the world and that was a slap in the face. I still remember his name and that call was five years ago.

Stay safe
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

My first call was a structure fire. It was about 11 O'Clock at night. we were are watching tv when toned dropped. I was so scured. but I live through it. Then I was hooked. Could get enough of it.

Forum Member

My first call was a car leaking fuel in a shopping mall parking lot. When we got there the car was such a piece of s*!t beater everyone was digging in their pockets for a Zippo to make the call worth it

my first real job was a fatal mva :\

My first run happened to be a rather "routine" vehicle fire. The not so routine part was that it was my sisters car!

Thread Information