Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default REQUIREMENTS FOR FIRE RESCUE SQUAD

I am an RN and now I am preparng myself, both physically and mentally, to join the fire rescue squad. can you guys help me?
    Do I have to go to a school or something? Where? How long?

HELP

I'll be staying with my girlfriend in california and hope to hear from you guys so I'll know what to do when i arrived there. thanks!

Hard to say--are you looking to do mostly rescue, or fire fighting as well? Are you looking for a career position or a paid-on-call or volunteer spot? The best thing I would recommend is to contact the city or cities in which you want to work and get the requirements from them. Some want you to have completed school, others will put you through school. Expect some sort of interview, a background check, and a physical ability test of varying difficulty depending on the department. There may also be some psychological testing, and expect a drug test, too. For a career position, patience may be your best friend, especially in some of the more coveted places. The hiring lists are often long!

I would try and find a vol company to run with, at least this way you can get your feet wet without going in way over your head. This also provides good experience if you decide to go to a full time paid fire department.
    [FDBS]Wray

I would recommend you stop by the local department you are interested in and speak with someone at the station in regards to your intentions. Talk with a chief officer or captain or lieutenant or even a senior firefighter. They can most likely recommend the training that will be required,the time needed for the training and any special requirments or restrictions and beneits.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Gene Delaware

Originally posted by LAD44DER:
    <STRONG>I would recommend you stop by the local department you are interested in and speak with someone at the station in regards to your intentions. Talk with a chief officer or captain or lieutenant or even a senior firefighter. They can most likely recommend the training that will be required,the time needed for the training and any special requirments or restrictions and benefits.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Gene Delaware</STRONG>

Thread Information