Thread: Define A Hero

Default Define A Hero

I have a report due in english class on something I must define. I chose to define a hero. But before I type up my report I would like to ask everyone here their definiton of a hero is. I would like to gather as much insite as I can before I write my paper.

I have been running with a vol company for 2yrs now, and for some reason I find it easier to fight fire than to wright a paper for english
    [FDBS]Wray

Forum Member

Well you picked a good but tough subject if you ask me. I know that alot of younger kids always look at sports figures as heros. I'll admit I did too when I played football. But I'd have to say any person taht is willing to give his/her life so that others may live. A person who does have fear but blocks it out of their mind to do a job that needs to be done. But that's just my opinion.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

bke

[FDBS]Wray,

I too am a student and I was always good at writing essays so maybe I can help. In my opinion, a hero is someone who fights for what they believe in and who will do good no matter what the circumstances or the danger. Firefighters are my #1 heroes of all time. They fight fire and save lives. Two very noble causes if you ask me.
    Idols, on the other hand, are sports figures or celebrities. It is my belief that there is a distinct difference between the two.
    These are just my opinions and I hope that it helps. Let me know how your paper is going and if you need help: bke@firehousemail.com is my email.

Stay safe, stay low,
    Brian

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: bke ]

I don't think that a Hero must give their life to achieve "Hero" status. I believe a Hero is anyone who, in the course of there life, touch many hearts with their conduct.
    I also believe that a good measure of a hero is that when they die, even the undertaker is upset.

My grandfather was such a person.
    Thomas Kane Harper
    1918-1999

I by the way, he was also a Sharpsville, IN firefighter,
    1955-1980
    "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Thanks for the replys, it is helping alot. But I really never felt sports figures were hero's. I always felt that they were in it for the money.
    I felt a true hero isn't in it for the glory, of being called a hero. They are just a person like everyone else, who had overcome great odds. They are the ones who believe in helping others at any cost. They wouldn't give up they would keep going.

As I said before thx for the replys they are very appriciated
    [FDBS]Wray

hero is a term that prob has different meanings to different people. to me hero means a person that would go that extra mile to help others. i'm not religious but the bible talks about( i have no idea where and this is not a direct quote) in one place about, no greater love hath man than to lay down his life for a brother. i believe that everytime we don our protective gear we, or at least i know i would, lay down my life for my brother. this is the definition of a hero to me.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

A hero is a sandwich you get at a deli! I like mine with ham, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, a little olive oil and vinegar served on italian bread.

OR

An ordinary person in extrordinary circumstances.

GB

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: GBordas ]

A hero is someone who gives of themselves, no matter what the call is. Or what situation they are in. I comes from the heart, compassion, and the love of people. A hero will do his job 200% and not expect any recognition, because he/she knows that they did their job and the people are better for it.
    We do things for the community so they can be safer.
    A true hero is in all of us, just sometimes it takes something real difficuit for it to come out.

Tanya
    OWL Station 14<br />We fight what you fear.<br />We will always be there first,even if its in your first due....

NKF

I believe that the term hero can not be defined. If you are describing someone that has done wonderful things, helped so many, done greatness for many, if they are truly a hero you can not put into word why they are. A hero can not be described or defined.

I think a hero is someone who gives everything for the greater good. A hero need not die or perform some stupendous act. The hero does what he or she believes in, not expecting a reward or recognition. We are surrounded by heros every day, the teacher who gives a damn about the students, the mother raising two kids alone, the person who takes that extra minute to help stranger.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Hero,
    This is easy- FDNY & NYPD
    A hero can be defined by a person who goes above and beyond the call of duty- someone who in the face of adversity can rise to the challange with grace and honor.

Thread Information