Default Question about propriety...

I had become email pals with a FF well before I joined forums. We've been corresponding about 4 or 5 months. He sent me a t-shirt from his department. I was tickled to receive it. First time I wore it a fellow asked me if I was a FF. I explained the situation and he was offended that I was wearing "the cross and the colors" without having earned them. I suppose I know a little how he feels. I used to get perturbed myself to see people wear NASA shirts who had nothing to do with NASA. I work there. Well, now I trade t-shirts with lots of people from all walks of life and usually send a NASA t-shirt. However, my question is, am I offending FF's by wearing that t-shirt?? Please be honest, because that is the LAST thing I want to do.

Thanks,
    Burbear

As far as i see it, it is just your way of showing respect to the fire departments. I dont see anything wrong with it.

I don't work for Levi's but I wear their pants.

bke

Hi Burbear,

I had the same issue arise at work. A vollie who I worked with was offended because I wore FD shirts from across the country. I told him it was a free country and that I was going to keep wearing the shirts. That was a couple years ago and I still wear them proudly today!
    I now work in another city (for the same company) and some of my coworkers razz me about my shirts. They call me the policeman or fireman and make it sound like a bad thing. I just told them that it was obvious that they never spent anytime around a firehouse and they couldn't understand the Brotherhood. Then I started ignoring their comments completely and they are starting to understand that wearing my shirts is serious to me. As a result, I have received more respect from them and I would like to think that maybe the professions have too.

Stay safe, stay low,
    BKE

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: bke ]

In my opinion, anyone who would give you a hard time for wearing a t-shirt, is just someone who is never pleased about anything. Thank you for having enough respect for all firefighters, to wear any FD t-shirt. Please be sure from now one you always do so with extra pride.
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire" - Garth Brooks

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I've had a great experience from all this. I've had to chance to share with people who ask me about the shirt where it came from and why. People were really impressed that a firefighter was nice enough to send me a shirt. And by asking on forums I've had a couple offers to trade a FD shirt for a NASA shirt. I will wear those FD with great pride...and in support of FF everywhere!

Burbear

burbear: If I were you I would not let that comment get to you. I myself wear FD shirts from all over... when ever I travel I try to get into a firehouse and meet & greet. Look at all of those fellow firefighters that went to help NYFD on the days after 9/11/01. They may have got shirts from ther friends that they met. God knows I have a couple

Forum Member

b-bear:

I like Islander's take on this.

Heck it was given by a FF - he meant for you to wear it to show support & respect. DO IT!

Don't let the boneheads get you down

Hi to Pepper if you talk to her.

You know, Grit, I finally did what I probably SHOULD have done in the first place...ask the guy who sent it to me. He told me it was a gift, I didn't have to earn it and if I didn't wear it he was going to come and kick my butt. So...I guess that settles that. I don't want a mad FF coming after me.

I have heard from Pepper once...I'll pass on your message.

Burbear

Thread Information