Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Explorer_Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down Forget LAdies Auxiliary!!!!

Forget Ladies Auxiliary!!!

If any woman wants to be on the dept she (in most places) can join. What your departments really need is an explorer program or a cadet program....Not framiliar with the program?? Shame on you!!

For more info on explorers go to WWW.LEARNING-FOR-LIFE.COM

TrapperBoss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Excuse me... but thumbs up on the Ladies Auxiliary please....

Explorer/Cadet programs may be great and warranted in most departments but that doesn't give anyone the right to simply FORGET an auxiliary! Shame on you...

Can't their be both? And, what about those mothers of firefighters who want to help their sons or daughters with their public service? They should forget the Ladies Auxiliary? I don't think so...

tsk, tsk, tsk...

Explorer_Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

HELP<<<MY HEAD IT GOT REALLY BIG<<<HELP

Sorry, you got a good point, here i guess people just dont care enough to start an auxiliary...it would be nice to have people to run to the store and get us refreshments and food on the scene of a fire .. but i guess we will have to keep the mayor doing that!!

john

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My dept. has an exlporer program. Of course most kids graduate high school and go away to college and never come back, but hey, we have an explorer program. Guess it looks good for their community service requirements.

sjcubed
    Firehouse.com Guest

No kidding, shame on you Explorer Chief! We have junior membership for boys AND girls under 18, and it serves its purpose- to grow kids into firefighters (and EMS), teach responsibility and community service, etc.
    But we also have an auxiliary- Clinton Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary- open to MEN and WOMEN over the age of 18 in the town of Clinton, CT for people who want to serve and give back to the fire department without becoming a fire fighter. And generally it's more than just providing refreshments and rehydration. It's raising money for department and community needs, throwing socials for the department and the children, and bringing the group closer.

All groups have their place and serve their purpose in the department. Juniors and auxiliary serve completely different purposes for the same greater good- a more effective, efficient, smoothly running emergency service for the residents of our town. Isn't that basically the point?

And on the personal side, I like that my son has the opportunity to watch his father fighting fires (with men & women), and his mother supporting the cause through the auxiliary. And that his primary babysitter is a junior at the fire department.

Explorer_Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Wht Kkkinds OF fundraising ideas do you all do for your departments? We could really use some ideas thanks john

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hay explorer chief, thats not a very nice thing to say. Some times people want to help, but they are not able to be firepersons. Just to give you something to think about if my wife wanted to join the fire dept, I would have to leave or she would not be able to join,( had problems with married couples)but she could join the auxliary. There is nothing wrong with havin the auxiliary on the fire scene, there is always some thing that they can help with. Rember that people like to be usefull.

Joe
    Local 3905

TrapperBoss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Joe,

I like your way of thinking! Ladies Auxiliary organizations are very useful in a pinch, when fire dept. personnel are tied up doing other things at a fire scene. Sometimes, just to see a smiling face can help break up the day's work!

It all depends on the circumstance but that is why we are out there, to help serve the men that put out their time and lifes unselfishly every day.

Thanks for the support!
    Leslie

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi Leslie.
    You bet they are very usefull, in my area there are only 2 or 3 fire depts that have auxiliary's, and everytime I have been to a fire in there area the members have been very helpfull. Keep up the good work and have a good day.

Joe
    Local 3905

Explorer_Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

There is no auxiliary here, we had one but..the county did away with it. Now we have to take firefighters away from the scene of a fire and send them to the store to get some gatorade and sandwiches. The last fire we had the mayor her self brought gatorade and bannanas down, I bet if some one asked her that night for an auxiliary she would have said yes, mabey ill ask her after the next big fire.

john

------------------
    John Barker
    Wish me good luck ,
    im presenting to get
    an explorer post started!!!!!!!
    WWW.CLEARCREEKFIRE.COM

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Hello Everyone,
    Explorer Chief it sounds like you think the only important people in the Emergency services are fire fighters and that everyone should become a firefighter.
    Well what about the other jobs that have to get done? Maybe some people are not into running into burning buildings these people can fill other important positions.
    The fire Police keep us fire fighters safe by makeing sure spectators don't get in the way and they also direct traffic so when we are working an mva we don't have to worry about getting hit by a car and then there is the EMS people if a fellow brother or sister gets hurt who patches them up EMS.
    Every last person that has made a choice to give up time and miss dinners,parties,and even just playing with thier kids to help out the community when in need should be praised whatever they choose to do FIRE,EMS,LADIES AUX, FIRE POLICE thumbs up to anyone that helps.

------------------
    AJM108

FD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

In an answer to your question Explorer Chief, for fundraising, we have bake sales (believe it or not). We also have a Turkey Dinner around Thanksgiving. This year we had a "Haunted Hall" the Friday and Saturday before Halloween. Occasionally we do fill the boot. As far as Ladies Auxiliary goes, I believe they are some of the greatest help out on a fire scene. We have several wives of firefighters that don't actually want to fight fire but want to support their husbands in what they do and the auxiliary is the way they do it. I don't know about you, but I really like having snacks and drinks there without having to wait on someone to come back from the store. Take care!

Capt_46
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

I'm sitting here reading these messages posted and I must be dreaming!! Let me start by saying my Wife is the President of our Aux. and my mother is the Secretary. Our aux. has helped us out in more than one occation and not just on fire scene's alone. It just amazes me that anyone can post whatever they want on here. An explorer making comments. First off explorers should be seen and not heard!! If you don't have and Aux or canteen unit in your department why don't the Explorers pick up the slack?? There is no reason your unit could not pick up food and fluids for the firefighters. Second if I was your officer in charge or who ever is in charge of your unit and I found out that you where posting stuff like this on the internet, You would be on the outside looking in!!! You need to remember that you are an explorer!! not a firefighter!! Sit back relax and LISTEN!!! you could learn alot!! You will have plenty of time to put your 2 cents in when you get to that point!!

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with you Capt 46 but it is called the freedom of speech and besides it sounds like explorer chief needs to do is take a good long look at the fire service and see what it's really about.

------------------
    AJM108
    Firefighter\Emt
    Ridge Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by AJM108 (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by AJM108 (edited December 08, 1999).]

Scooter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

OH VERY YOUNG ONE. Let me share with you a very special bit of wisdom my young brother. I have the BEST AUXILIARY IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND! In the 6 years they have been active they have raised over $150,000.00 for our small volunteer company. The results of which have paid for imrpovements on the station, new equipment and apparatus. Not to mention freeing up firefighters and juniors to do actual suppression and prevention activities. They hold teen dances, pit beefs, you name it they will get it done. In 1998 the Whitbread Around the World Race came into the Chesapeake Bay and they provided food & drink for our whole crew an enough extra to feed two other boat crews. Served on the water of the Bay, so we could provide coverage. 1999 they bought the Company a complete Holmatro Rescue tool system and still gave us a check at the end of the year for $10,000.00. WHO NEEDS AN AUXILIARY, ALL APPLICANTS PLEASE APPLY HERE!

Bobby Hunter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Auxiliarys are the back bone of the fire service, they do more then serve drinks and food at the scene but they also support the department by working all the fund raisers which helps keep the volunteer departments running, with out them alot of things want get done.

Unhappy

I'm not sure I fully understand the Explorer. It seems that before you can say NO to an Auxiliary, you need to understand the family life of a firefighter. I have supported my husband who is a volunteer firefigher for 3 years now. I helped him study many days and nights while he went through training, a year and a 1/2 to be exact and I have helped out on several fundraisers our dept. has had. We're raising 2 children who know all to well what happens when the pager goes off, Dad disappears for awhile. I've heard about duty shifts where he rested the entire night and I've also heard about the nasty scene of a double air-lift, in detail I might add.
    No Auxiliary! Let me tell ya something, it takes a lot to support a firefighter....it takes a family.
    My husband has me, what about the single firefighters? I believe the Auxiliary does more than just provide refreshments and food. We provide moral support as well.
    And by the way Explorer...........who supports us? The families need support too because it takes a lot of understanding, patience, and love to support a firefighter and the Auxiliary is a way we can support each other through the rough times because we understand what it takes to support the Firefighters.
    I supported my husband through the 9-11 mess, who supported me?
    I'm glad our dept. is finally re-establishing our Auxilary so that I TOO can have support.
    Signed a Firefighters Wife.

Don't badmouth the Ladies Auxiliary! They do and have done more good than you know, obviously. I have 33 years invested in the volunteer service. I am an officer in my dept. My son is a firefighter in the dept. as well as a paid EMT in the city where he attends college. My daughter is a firefighter in the dept. and just enrolled in an EMT course. My wife is the president of the ladies auxiliary. The whole family participates. We understand each other and support each other, as well as our other brothers and sisters.

Our ladies auxiliary is pretty small now, compared to what it once was, but it is still there. Many are the reasons for this dwindling. Through better funding via fire district taxes, they don't much support us with fundraising anymore. Some of our chiefs in the past didn't choose to rely on them for food and refreshments, although they were always available, and still are.

Despite their small size, they still find good works to accomplish. They do things like assist with the childrens Christmas party, donate to the burn bear program for children at the Shriners burn center, donate to the local church to help support their holiday food basket program, donate to the area Johnnycake House which helps provide those in need with foodstuffs, clothing, some financial assistance,etc., assist at firestation open houses, assist with food preparation at weekend training activities and more.

When needed in the past, they assisted with department fundraising, as well as conducted their own. At one time, one auxiliary member/EMT automatically responded with the department and stood by in case there were any injuries (our dept. does not run EMS). Many times their fire committee has provided needed refreshments, often without even being called. Sometimes, through experience, they just know when they are needed.Our ladies auxiliary has never failed us whenever they have been called upon. I hope we never fail them either.
    Lead by example...
    Safety first...
    Always

Angry

Itís people like you who give explorers a bad name. My department has an auxiliary and an explorer post. Years ago, explorers were allowed to do support functions along with the auxiliary. But then, a few explorers who thought the way you do screwed it up for the rest of us. Now, we are completely forbidden from going on runs or helping out at the station. Take it easy, you are an explorer, they will be more than happy to remove you if you **** them off. Relax and go with the flow. Keep in mind your way is not always the right or only way. Don't do anything to loose your privileges. I would do anything for the opportunity you have.

Forum Member

Talking Interested In Starting an Aux.

Hello All-

I'm interested in gaining information on exactly "How to start a Ladies' Aux.". I understand the impact we could have for our local volunteer fire department. I see first hand how much our firefighters and rescue workers make a difference in our small community. I still see the need in having an aux. to assist in the areas where we can be beneficial. Could someone please contact me if you have information of how to begin this valuable group? Please!

Thanks in advance for any information/assistance you can offer!
    Tina

Thread Information