Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Self Rescue, Bail Out

What does everyone Carry in there bunkers for self rescue, do you carry rope, and a rescue 8, I am looking to buy something that I can use for bail out, Thanks
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

50 feet of 1/8 rope

NFPA don't like 1/8 rope but it's small and will fit in your bucker gear and it will hold your LBS. unless your a realy fat arses then use 1/4 inch rope...

I carry 1 steel carabiner, and 35 foot of 8mm escape rope. Dont really need an 8. Just wrap the rope around your back and grab both the loaded end and the running end of rope in both your hands and you will get out quickly and safely. I have practiced it, and it does work.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Does anyone know what size of rope that NFPA recommends for self rescue.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911

I would strongly recommend that you read the article in the May Fire Engineering by J. Grieff. He and some others spent a day in a burn building doing bailouts under fire conditions. The article is very enlightening, covering a number of ropes and descent devices from various manufacturers.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

CMC's NFPA P rope is 5/16". I have seen that and 3/8 mainly used. Take a class before you buy anything. First, its not something to just try. Second, they may show you something you like and have actually used in controlled situation. Be careful about really small rope, it does fit in your pocket, but its tough to slow down.

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: Halligan84 ]

1/8" is way too small for use as a personal escape rope. It may work fine as a search line or as a utility line but certainly not for bailing out. There is no way for the average firefighter to slow or stop a descent using a rope that is the same diameter as shoelaces. If you are going to get one, choose a minimum 5/16" or 8mm diameter synthetic rope. 50' can easily be stored in a small stuff sack and carried on an SCBA strap. As mentioned by others, be sure to get proper instruction in bail out procedures and practice, practice, practice.

Forum Member

Check out this website for searc/escape rope bags..www.fire-rescueoutfitters.com/ri.htm

The Personal Safety Rope Bag is offered in 4 sizes from 25' to 100' & offers a choice of 8mm or 6.8mm Kevlar (900 degrees F) NFPA rated rope plus carabiners.

Stay Safe!!!!

My personal rope is a 36' 9mm with a locking 'biner.Fits nicely in a small rope bag,is easy to grip & control and is long enough to get me out of trouble in all buildings in our current response area.50' would probably be better.T.C.

Does anyone know where I can find the small rope bags that I see some Departments have attached to there SCBA?

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911

Ax,I got mine at a local climbing/technical rope place.There was an earlier thread on a co. in Jersey I think that sell the complete system reasonable.They are in the firehouse resource section.Hope this helps.T.C.

I carry 50 feet of 8mm rope. As Lewiston2Capt said, just wrap the rope around you, making sure it is below the straps of your air bottle, and grasp both ends of the rope. I recently completed a FF Survival/Self Rescue train the trainer course. We were taught several methods of anchoring the rope for bail out. No need for a rescue 8 or carabiner. I would suggest you attend a self rescue class before attempting to teach your self. As for sources of rope and rope bags, try thefirestore.com

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

I carry 50' of 8mm rope with a licking 'biner in my pants pocket. The biner is hooked ovet the pocket flap so I can deploy it in a hurry. If it's in a bag dangling behind you on the SCBA, how fast can you reach for it, open the bag and deploy it. With it in my bunker pant pocket all I have to do is grab the biner, put it around my back and grab it in the front, hook to something sturdy and bail. A rope supply store like Eastern Mountain Sports has everything you need and not at fire service prices.
    Captain/EMT-P

Forum Member

Ax, if you will check with most rescue suppliers, they will have a full setup of the bag, about 75to 100 feet of rope, a biner and a descent device. These kits usually run around $75 or more. You can also make your own using about 50' of 8mm life safety rope. Sterling makes a rope that costs about 40 cents a foot. put this in a fanny pack you can pick up for about $5 at your local retail store. Add an aluminum caribiner and you have a full setup. This will cost you about $30 total.

NFPA requires that personal escape rope be minimum 3500 tensile strength. There is no minimum size, but 8mm is usually standard. Read the requirements in NFPA 1983 - 2000 edition for more information. Also, before you buy personal escape rope, ask for a sample to cut open and check for the NFPA labeling tape inside the rope.
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

Forum Member

Axeman got to Indianapolis I believe it is the first weekend in march. I here it is a sight to behold and you can buy anyting you can think of. My first year going and I am really looking forward to it.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Default finding a reasonable bail out kit

i need help/advice for finding a reasonably priced bail-out kit with a rescue belt...my limit is 130.00. any and all advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time
    Last edited by twelvelocks724; 08-21-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Forum Member

Check out RescueTECH; www.rescuetech1.com

They are reasonably priced and have a large selection of items. I use their escape harness and am very pleased with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had the globe belt loops installed my pants and wear a Gut Belt on my pants. I have webbing attached to one of the metal loops on the belt and the other end is attached to a cmc espace artist on 50' of 8MM firetech with the crosby hook. After taking the bailout class at FDIC from the FDNY guys, I can tell you the crosby hook should be a must for any system you design. But whatever you buy, make sure you practice, practice, practice.

Thread Information