Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default Fire Explorer Programs

    I'm just throwing out a discussion topic here, not getting down on my cadets their good kids. However should the explorer program be used as a social rehabilitation program for problem kids?

    Lt. Alexis Capezza
    Canton Fire & EMS
    Post 911 Advisor


  2. #2
    Tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Absolutely!! These are kids that if given some direction and some support can be good adults. This is a posotive enviroment with alot of encouragement. I dont believe that the explorers should be a punishment sent down by the courts, etc. but recruiting them is great. Feel free to email me with any questions. I was an explorer at post 2587 and held the chief position for 5 years and we had several "bad" kids and all are doing great working on becoming career firefighters.

  3. #3
    Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    How do we keep problems like vandilism and theft at bay but still promote an atmosphere of freedom of thaught and action to encourage creative problem solving skills.
    Lt. Alexis J. Capezza
    Canton Volunteer Fire & EMS
    Post 911 Advisor

  4. #4
    Brian Book
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    I think try it if it works keep it if it doesn't throw it out. We just say if you want to join, join it doesn't matter were you are from and what your backround is.


    Cadet Captain Brian Book
    Freeport Fire Dept

  5. #5
    FF EMT 04011
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    OK, here we go...

    I dont have anything against socially troubled kids in this stuff, I think its great because they can Inadvertantly help the people of their town in a positive manner without being watched constantly. I think the Jr FD can help some kids have a certain amount of responsibility and the satisfaction of having worked in a team.

    Heres where I draw the line (personally). I think that Depts. should be careful on accepting kids that have been forced into the field, then letting them loose on the fireground. If they can learn the stuff and are positive about, all the more power, who knows, maybe youll change a life of crime into a life of helping others.

    Stay Cool and Safe



    ------------------
    Dana A Kennedy
    Junior Firefighter/EMT
    Brunswick Fire Department
    Brunswick, Maine, USA

  6. #6
    Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    The trouble is that even with security measures and direct supervision these kids don't seem to be interested in fire fighting. Their here to sociallize in thier clicks. that's why we get groups of kids joining at once. I'm not doing this to run a social rehabilitation program for under privilaged youth. I'm here to train the next generation of fire fighters and EMTs. The origional question was am I taking the right approach to this program. The common answer seems to be no, i should be running a social rehab program instead of , what in essence is, a prep school for future fire fighters and EMTs.

    Lt. Alexis J. Capezza
    Canton Fire & EMS.
    Post 911
    Cadet Acvisor

  7. #7
    Tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Capez, Yes this is a prep class for future firefighters but it is also a social group. Think of your involvement with the fire department. Is it strictly buisness?? or do you have banquets, nights of drinking with the boys. Yes it should be a prep course but not strictly. Good luck with your future members. Remember to keep it fun and interesting for all. Also another point I need to make is there are various jobs in the fire service and holding the line is about 10% of it so remember the other 90%.

  8. #8
    BCFD761
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    I AM GLAD TO SEE SO MANY PEOPLE TAKING AN INTREST IN R=THE YOUTH OF AMERICA, AS AN EXPLORER ADVISOR I HAVE HAD GREAT JOY WATCHING SOME EXPLORERS LEARN THE BASICS OF F.F AND TAKE IT FURTHER BY BECOMING VOLUNTEER F.F.. CAREER F.F. EMT, AND PARAMEDICS.

    I DO BELIEVE EVERYONE SHOULD BE GIVEN A CHANCE, FOR EVERYONE THAT I MENTIONED ABOVE, THERE ARE SOME WHO JUST DIDNT QUITE MAKE IT, BUT THEY WERE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY, EVERYONE AT LEAST DESERVES THAT.

    DAVE DEVORE
    BUCK CREEK TWP.
    ASST. FIRE CHIEF
    ADVISOR MEMBER EXPOLRER POST 473

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts