Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whatever you teach them, make sure you add the "practical" element for what they're learning. It's good to practice your knots, but if you never see how to apply them, half the learning is lost.

I'm thinking a great way to plan classes/drills is to simply crack your IFSTA book and go through chapter by chapter, doing the practical exercises in the back of each chapter. It gives you a simple curriculum to follow, along with teaching material to go along with it. Once you have added enough skills to your repertoire, start giving them scenarios that use those skills... simple mock "calls" where you need to use the knots you learned to hoist tools or rescue a dummy, etc.

No need to duplicate the work when others have done it for us. I was an explorer for 2 years and have been a career firefighter for almost 7 years with two separate academies under my belt. All three programs were based off the IFSTA Fire Essentials manual. From there, just use whatever equipment/props you have available as the lessons come up. Following the manual also helps you keep track of what lessons/drills will be coming up so you can schedule a drill-ground and the needed equipment for each drill.

Juniors can do anything firefighters do. Except respond "code" to a call, or go to a scene that involves bad stuff. (everyone knows what I'm talking about)
    ScreenShot Tool | Personal Website
    Email: russ@russtreadwell.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/RussTPranks

Forum Member

Brendan,

My name is Rodney Recore and assist in heading up our newly inspired Jr FF program. Looking to Firehouse has allowed many to aid us so here we pay it forward. Start with the basics: turnout gear donning and doffing. We include air packs but some Jr FF programs do not. Hose hookups to the trucks and hydrants, surprise drills etc

Send me your email to firefiteb@yahoo.com and can email you our excel spreadsheet. Our Jrs have went from 3 to 4 active to a full 13 !! They make me very proud and even the girls are doing spectacular!! Look forward to hearing from you and hope to help any way we can.

Rodney Recore
    Barker Fire Department

Forum Member

Juniors or not, you realise that this thread is older than most of the Juniors....

Forum Member

Do you or anyone have a copy of Essentials of Firefighting? It's the book we use for Fire 1 and Fire 2 classes. It has tons of drills you can do after each chapter.

Forum Member

Well my department at which I am a Jr. at we train with the guys on our regular training night and then have one other training just for the Jrs.

Thread Information