Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brendan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Junior Firefighter Drills/Activities

Hello, everyone!

I would be interested in getting in touch with anyone who has any ideas on what drills to do with the juniors for practical training. Please e-mail or post to group. Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Brendan R.
    Spencer, Massachusetts

James_Orenthal
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am moderator of the Jr's in our department. We have done a variety of drills ranging from hose mazes, to repelling, to live fire evolutions. To get the Jr's even more training we try to incorperate them into some senior fire company drills. I would be glad to share ideas w/you. E-mail and let me know what type of drills you're iterested in having. E-mail: James_Orenthal@Yahoo.com

Captain Aronson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am the Operations Captain in Explorer Post 101. Some of the training we do is structural fire scenarios, actually using radio traffic, and the incident command system, we also do DSD.C.B.A. drills where we black out masks and set up a course and hide a "victim" for the Explorers to rescue. Please feel free to contact me for any more information. We have many different training evolutions.

Captain Jesse Aronson
    Explorer Post 101 Riverside City, Ca

------------------

Captain Aronson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am the Operations Captain in Explorer Post 101. Some of the training we do is structural fire scenarios, actually using radio traffic, and the incident command system, we also do S.C.B.A. drills where we black out masks and set up a course and hide a "victim" for the Explorers to rescue. Please feel free to contact me for any more information. We have many different training evolutions.

Captain Jesse Aronson
    Explorer Post 101 Riverside City, Ca

------------------

Tillerman
    Firehouse.com Guest

What training do the firefighters do?? They are Junior Firefighters and they should be doing exactly what the firefighter are doing. I was Chief of my local Explorer Post for three years and we trained with the firefighters every tuesday and trained by ourselves once a month in all aspects of fire and rescue. The main thing with training is keep it fun and interesting. Dont bore them with 50 hours of class time and 5 hours hands on. Mix it up evenly and they will not get bored. As the Post progresses get more advanced but dont forget the basics. And one last comment as with all training it must be supervised and safe. Good luck with your future training and stay safe.

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

over here the explorer post has one drill a month, on the 4th monday. the explorers and juniors also drill with the companies/department on the given drill dates..sunday, thursday etc...

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    Junior FF,New Milford, NJ
    Chief/Pres Fire/Ems Post 402

...KNHS 714 to the New Milord Fire Department, we have a report of a fully envolved house fire at...

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Juniors do the same things as senior guys do so that they are familiar with what the are expected to do as the progress.

[This message has been edited by Fireman Ry (edited November 08, 2000).]

alert471
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am junior fire fighter with one of my local dept. and a Explorer with another. In training I have done pump operateing, hose practive, SCBA training, and a wide variety of things. If you have any question on how to perform some of these training excersises or to learn more feel free to contact me.

alert471
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would like to add that trianing with the dept. in which I am a Junior the training is done with other Fire Fighers. This is a wonderful way to train, because when we turn 18 year of age we are then moved from Jr to Full-time when this happens we don't have to be retrained. Because we already know what we are doing when we get to that status. If you have any questions please contact me at expo_pres_e1@hotmail.com or

FirResQ69@collegeclub.com

Have fun Jacob

Forum Member

Iím a junior firefighter and every Wednesday we have drills at our firehouse and the captain pairs a junior member up with an experienced firefighter to make up a drill. Instead of the captain making them up. It gives everyone an opportunity to learn something new from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrickland
    Iím a junior firefighter and every Wednesday we have drills at our firehouse and the captain pairs a junior member up with an experienced firefighter to make up a drill. Instead of the captain making them up. It gives everyone an opportunity to learn something new from each other.

Damn, you really dug for this one!

Here we just do the normal drills with the regular members.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

LOL. This is a Seven year old post.

Forum Member

Redug or not, its better than the usual "OMG BLUE LIGHTS OMG PAGER" talk...

Might as well join in...
    In my department our juniors are permitted to do every drill that the senior firefighters do, barring interior live burns of course.

Some of the better one's we've done:
    SCBA Maze
    Interior Search and Rescue (while wearing a black mask over your facepiece)
    Woodland Search and Rescue
    Hose line advancement
    Mass Casualty Incident
    Airbag/air tool use
    Trampoline rescue (this seems dumb, but its REALLY important to know how to do this correctly, even if you only get 1 or 2 a year. Its also pretty fun.)
    Water Rescue
    Ice/Cold Water Rescue
    Chimney Fires

Some of the less exciting, yet still important ones for juniors:
    Tanker Shuttle
    SCBA bottle-changing
    Accountability system use

Forum Member

:-) not trying to sound stupid or anything....but will someone please explain to me the diffrence between a junior FF and an Explorer?!?!?!

Thanks

Forum Member

Explorers is under a national program run by Learning for Life, and they have all the benefits and drawbacks of a national organization.

Junior firefighting programs are run by the individual department, and the rules governing the program are up to the department administration.

Forum Member

ok....thanks!!

All explorer training is conducted away from the rest of the department. They dont want "the kiddies getting in the way."

Ok, fine. They'll find another place to practice away from the harassment.

However, I think itís funny how they'll search the city to see what the explorers are doing.

It's turned into a big game now.

Forum Member

You should try to do training drills that are in use in your local Fire Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by FLexplorer305
    You should try to do training drills that are in use in your local Fire Academy.

Great idea.......................... .............................. ..what if you don't have a dedicated fire academy for your dept. Not all of us are as lucky as some. Around here, the Ohio State Fire School is a very good training oppourtunity that comes around twice a year, one of the area fireman's assoc.'s has a fire school, a community college has a pretty good fire science curriculum, and a larger city has their own facilities for training. Things are definatly different from Florida.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Hey everyone!! We live in a small rural town but have a great volunteer fire department. I recently have been " asked " to advise the junior firefighters. It is a small group with a couple girls also in the mix. I started with an essential knots and ropes drill but as others have posted want to keep their attention and enthusiasm going. This is my very first time doing posts so bear with me . Any help or advice is great. I also have three other local volunteer companies too. Seems to be catching on but need soem great drill ideas.

Regards,
    Rodney Recore
    Jr FF Advisor
    Barker Fire Dept
    Barker NY
    firefiteb@yahoo.com

Thread Information