Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kramer1075
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default What kind of helmet does your department give their Junior Member/Explorer

My department gives us Cairns 1010 with the 4 inch sheild on the front. Luckily I have my own helmet which is a Cairns New Yorker w/ bourkes.

stone35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Are Jr. Firefighters given a different colored firehelmet? I think I may be a little confused about what a Jr. Firefighter is. We don't have JR FF classifications. I understand the explorer firefighter. Oh, one more question, do your explorer firefighters receive a different colored helmet, and if not, how do you differentiate who is an explorer firefighter?

------------------
    Stone35

PGTICK98
    Firehouse.com Guest

our jr's are issued red helmets thats are exactly like the regular issues except for the coloer.

------------------
    the tick

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cairns & Brother 660 Metro. The ID factor is provided by a 2" strip of orange tape down the center of the helmet from front to back. It should not matter what type of helmet is issued as long as it meets all appropriate standards and didtinguished the junior member. I cant see going out and spending $375 for a New Yorker so you can stand outside and do exterior work, unless your dept issues it.

Kramer1075
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, They don't give us different color helmets, but they do give us orange probie shields. But they ran out of them so there is really no way of telling explorers from senior members.

Fireman14
    Firehouse.com Guest

My company gives us normal black helmets, but they have a green crest on the side that says junior member.

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

we get Carins Metro helmets. the regulars have new yorkers that are black with black shield. probies have the same but with orange shield. jrs have all yellow metros

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cairns 1010's blue in color....

ED C.
    PITTSFIELD TWP. F.D.

EngineCoGirl
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Juniors get Fire Dept hand me downs. Our old turnout and uniforms go to the Juniors. The only difference is, our Juniors must have blue helmets do seperate them from us on the fireground. Same thing with scene tags...theirs are blue. Ours are green and 2 air bottle tags which are orange. But, my turnout gear is also blue, and i got mistaken for a junior at a fire once

------------------
    ~Real heros wear SCBA, not capes~

FDshofr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our fire explorers also get the old gear that is turned in from both our career and reserve firefighters. They are issued the same yellow helmet that our firefighters get but on both sides they are identified as explorers with black 2" tall letters "EXP" this is also on the back of their turnout coats and pants. Seems to work well to ID them within our ranks.

Cort LaBlank
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are issued the same helmets as firefighters, the only difference is the juniors where the new black bunkers and the senior firefighters were the new brown bunkers

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Juinors in my department get the old gear. We know that they are going to take FF1, so they don't need the newest gear to do that. Also once we see that the person is going to show up, they they get new gear. We also set them apart with a big red strips on the helmet to show that they haven't complete ff1 yet.

jrchief
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department we get the same helmet as everyone else and we get the same gear as everyone else. The difference is that you don't get a helmet untill you have proven yourself to the officers. After you have proven your self you get the gear. The only difference in the helmet is it has blue reflective stickers with the yellow.

HiTecVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department juniors get the same helmets. When someone newly joins the department they get the older stuff. And we are small enough that everyone knows each other and the specific roles and duties of the others.

firefly37
    Firehouse.com Guest

The juniors in the New Hanvover Twp. FC get the same helmets as the senior ff. The difference is that red tape is put on the tops of the helmet. This allows ff on a scene to easily see who is who. Also we never run out of tape or if we would we could buy more quickly.

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

our dept. equips the explorers with E.D. Bullard helmets-black in color and they have a reflective crest on both sides that says explorer to identify rank. These helmets are hand me downs along with their turnouts which are bunkers and 3/4 coats.

------------------

Wildwood Station 11
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department I am a junior member and we dont have any special markings to identify us as juniors because we are small enough to know each other also alot of us junior firefighters help train probies because we have been doing this since we were 15 and were now 16,17,or almost 18 as far as turnouts we are issued the old stuff which is in very good condition and it still meets standards

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

We generally issue juniors older (but still compliant) nomex turnout gear at first (usually the old Astra suits). When they turn 18 (or get near it) and have completed the required state Essentials certification, they are outfitted with PBI gear (off the shelf or new, depending on what we have in stock).

We don't single out the juniors with different helmets or helmet markings. It's better for morale, at least marginally. We are small enough and work closely enough with our mutual aid companies that everone knows who's who. In addition, our juniors know the rules, and know when to say "no" if someone tries to give them a prohibited task by mistake. If that weren't the case, we'd probably change our policy.

ksFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my department the Explorers helmets are exactly the same as the other Firefighters. The way they can tell us apart on the scene is our turn-out gear. The firefighters have tan or yellow and the Explorers have red.

------------
    ksFIRE
    NC

FF McDonald
    Firehouse.com Guest

Be thankful for whatever gear you get. Not all departments are lucky enough to outfit all of their members with the proper Bunker Gear, yet alone the Junior Dept.

I was a member of my Fire Departments Junior Dept when I first joined. I thank them for getting me started in Firefighting. To answer you question-- My department used to issue Cairns 660 Metro's to all members, the only difference was the color. This denoted your job function on the fire scene-
    White - Chief, and Officers
    Black - Senior Members (qualified to enter the building)
    Red - Junior members, outside duties only

My department has since begun issuing Cairns 1010's to it's members. However, the Junior's still get issued the "salad bowl's"
    Work hard, and enjoy your time with the FD. Most of all, never forget where you came from.

[This message has been edited by FF McDonald (edited October 02, 1999).]

Thread Information