Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    jsteele
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default School Programs

Does anybody do in school programs for recruitment? If so what kind of program, and what kind of resources are used?

------------------
    James Steele
    Second Assistant Chief
    Portland Hook & Ladder Co. #1
    Portland , PA

EngineCoGirl
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only time we go to schools generally is during Fire Prevention Week. During that time we go to the schools here in town and show em the usual, burn slides, this is what a firemen looks and sounds like, extinguishers, smoke detectors...etc. And when they go to the High School they offer applications after the show for anyone who may be interested in joining. Now, it's not working real great apparently...so if anyone else has any ideas. We'll take em!

------------------
    ~Real heros wear SCBA, not capes~

EngineCoGirl
    Firehouse.com Guest

The only time we go to schools generally is during Fire Prevention Week. During that time we go to the schools here in town and show em the usual, burn slides, this is what a firemen looks and sounds like, extinguishers, smoke detectors...etc. And when they go to the High School they offer applications after the show for anyone who may be interested in joining. Now, it's not working real great apparently...so if anyone else has any ideas. We'll take em!

------------------
    ~Real heros wear SCBA, not capes~

Animal
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

At the local high school, we began a program in the 1997-1998 school year that has been amazingly sucessful. We have been offering the Firefighter I and EMT-B course as a class at the school. The classes rotate, with FFI being offered 1 year, and EMT-B the next year. The students and community have been extremely supportive, and the students graduating from the class have been awesome. Offering the class at the high school seems to be one solution to our deperate recruitment/retention situation :-)

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

In my school all we do is have a few posters but I also hand our business cards of how, when, where, why, and who to join. I am trying to push it in schools!

Yeah, mainly we just go durning fire prevention week. But, i have never thought about that to find new members. I guess we dont NEED any right now, but that is somthin to think about.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Thread Information